Power Mac's with dual layered DVD drives as standard?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by FireArse, Feb 12, 2005.

1. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I just hold of my new dual 2GHz powermac, and noticed some places Link saying that the standard Pioneer 117 DVD drive is actually a re-labelled (and function reduced) 108 (which is capable of higher speeds & dual layer burning!)

Has anybody here done the Firmware upgrade to get it going? Is this thing true?

Thanks for your time guys,

FireArse

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Apparently this is true but I haven't seen any firmware patches yet. OSX does support it entirely, so even if you'd swap it for an internal Dual Layer drive OSX would recognize it, etc.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Actually Applle might not recognize the 108. So it may not have full functionallity.

The 117 model is what is supported and if you re-flash it with the 108 firmware, the drive will identify itself as a 108 instead of a 117.

4. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I have heard that some people have in fact swapped the drive for a Dual Layer one and OSX recognized it. These are not facts though as I have only read this and not seen it.

5. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

6. brap macrumors 68000

If you have access to a PC you may be able to alter the firmware (read: flash it to a full 108) there, then bring it back. I seem to remember reading an article in which they did just that.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just wonder when Apple is going to bundle double layer drives (and DL firmware) with their systems. It's strange that officially you need an external drive to make double layer DVDs.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

use patchburn to get the drive working after the flash

9. Bear macrumors G3

The question is, did it recognize it as an Apple Supplied/Supported drive? If not, then certain things won't work on it. (Mostly iDVD I think will have issues.)

10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yes, this would be good to know. I guess there's only one way to find out...

11. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

12. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

You would need to use PatchBurn3 for the upgraded drive to be recognized by the system.

13. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

apple will support it for idvd 4 has dual layer disc burning capability

14. cwright macrumors 6502a

I tried this on my G5's Pioneer 117D and it worked flawlessly. Toast and the Finder both recognize the drive as a Pioneer 108 now, and the iApps still burn without any problems...without even using patchburn.

I can now get 16x DVD-R write speed (previously 8x) and 32x CD-R write speed (previously 24x). Dual Layer burning should be 4x, but I haven't tested it yet.

And... so far, all of the 8x media I've tried (ProDisc, Ritek, Memorex) have all burned at 16x speed! Burns an entire DVD in 3 minutes! :D