Power Nap - Working as Advertised?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by EnigMoiD, Jul 27, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Maybe I'm misinterpreting Apple's claims, but it makes sense that Power Nap would continue a time machine backup / app store download that is already in progress.

When I close my 2012 MBA, my time machine hard drive stops blinking, so I can only imagine that the backup has stopped. Is this supposed to happen? Will Power Nap only initiate backups on a schedule? Or is this not how it's supposed to work? I installed the SMC update and checked the Power Nap box in energy saver.

This can also become a thread about Power Nap in general since there doesn't seem to be one.

2. macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't think it continues the back up or download but will resume or will download/back up at a scheduled time. If it's already running, it will stop and sleep since that's what you really need when putting a system to sleep in the first place.

3. macrumors regular

Negative. My Time Machine preferences said it was scheduled to do a backup at 9:01pm. I closed the lid on my rMBP a few minutes before that and opened it up afterwards. The backup didn't happen. And yes I'm sure I have power nap enabled when plugged into a power source (which it was).

4. macrumors G5

Macman45

TM backups work fine in power nap on my MBA...maybe the retina patch didn't work.

5. macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

Same here, I thought it would "continue to run Time Machine backups" as advertised so I left my rMBP on power adapter and started the backup, then went to bed. The next day when I wake my Mac from sleep it showed the error message "the disk was not ejected properly", so I plugged out and plugged in my external HDD again to see if it backed itself up last night and no, the latest backup was before I put my Mac to sleep.