Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiDrOck80

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Syracuse, NY
is there a way i can make it so when i start my computer..it goes to a screen and makes u put in a password??? im @ college and i want a way i can log out and make it so other ppl cant play around with my computer

XNine

macrumors 68040
Go to System Prefs -Accounts, then choose password protection. You can choose whether you want to see icons for users or a lsit of names. Then, when you power up or want to put up the login screen when you leave it'll be there.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Or, you could really secure it (and piss yourself off in the process :p) and go into Open Firmware (type 'cmd option O F' during bootup) and type:
Code:
setenv security-mode full
Then reboot. It'll ask you your password every time you hit the On button :p

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
greatdevourer said:
Or, you could really secure it (and piss yourself off in the process :p) and go into Open Firmware (type 'cmd option O F' during bootup) and type:
Code:
setenv security-mode full
Then reboot. It'll ask you your password every time you hit the On button :p
The Open Firmware password is a nice idea if you want to go beyond just securing your login screen. It will prevent people from booting off of CDs or other external drives without a password.

Just make sure you remember it, or you're screwed.

More info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.