Power outage in SoCal tonight

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mugambo, Jun 5, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Mugambo

This is the first ever power outage I'm experiencing. Are there any suggestions to kill time since none of the gadgets will be working during the power outage. This is from 8pm tonight till tomorrow morning. Please suggest something realistic. Smarty pants will be snubbed and can stay away from this discussion.

2. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Read a book
    take a walk
    ride a bike
    GET OUT OF THE HOUSE

It is sad people can not do anuthing with out electricty.

3. macrumors 603

Test the battery in your UPS.

Defrost your freezer.

Go outside, look up, say "Oh my god, it's full of stars!"

I'll take my snub now, and may I please have another, sir?

4. macrumors regular

walking in socal haha i dont he this person wants to get shot or jumped lol..
    just hope no ones raid ur house because they dont know what to do w/o electricity lmao jk:D

5. macrumors 68020

dmmcintyre3

Charge the battery in everything, fill up the gas in your car and buy a power inverter so you can charge anything that runs out before it is back on, buy fresh batteries for your flashlights, run the AC more so there the cool air will last longer, etc.

6. macrumors 6502

Are there a lot of planned power outages in Southern California during the summer months? Is it usually the widespread area, or just a neighborhood here and there? Why do they do this? Eight plus hours seems like a long time to be out of power. We don't have planned power outages here on the east coast; I guess I'm just a little confused.

7. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Go see a movie?

8. macrumors 68030

teabgs

Where EXACTLY in SoCal is this planned? I'm having a party this evening/night... that would suck :mad:

9. macrumors 68000

RawBert

I haven't heard of a scheduled power outrage in SoCal. But if there were, I'd get the telescope out on my balcony and fire up the Sky Voyager app.

10. macrumors 68020

leomac08

+1 what part of socal are you talking about????? Weho? EastLA, the O.C, beaches, Santa Monica???? The I.E?

11. macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I haven't heard anything for LA, so is this a self-imposed power outage?

Get some drinks and friends then head outside to the porch, balcony, roof etc. a have fun.

Also charge up your mobile before you lose power.;)

EDIT: http://www.sce.com/PowerOutageCenter/powerOutageCenter.htm

I guess they do plan power outages for certain areas and if you're affected then you get a letter way ahead of time. First I've heard of this.

12. macrumors 6502

madoka

It's something like this that makes me glad I own nine laptops, two ipads and a Verizon MiFi. :D

But if I were the OP, I'd read and go to bed early.

13. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'm so happy Arizona is testing their ability to turn off the power in reaction to the boycotts. :p

14. macrumors 68040

abijnk

For those who seem to not know anything about these, there are occasional scheduled outages throughout the year where I live in Hermosa Beach, just south of Los Angeles. We are with SoCal Edison and whenever they are going to do it they send out letters to all affected residents. They don't just turn the lights out. They also try to do it at convenient times, like while a majority of people are at work. The reasons for it are varied, and sometimes the letters don't even contain an explanation, but I'm sure you can use your imagination (equipment repairs/replacements, etc.). We have lived in Hermosa for about two years now and have had three scheduled outages (and several unscheduled ones :)).

15. macrumors 68020

Macky-Mac

planned outages seem to be for;

16. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:rolleyes: Live under a rock long?

17. macrumors G5

Consultant

Get an iPad! =P

18. macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Not usually during the summer. Most utilities over here try to get their major work done before summer because right about now, people start running their air conditioners nonstop and using a ton of electricity.