Power outage when Mac's asleep - bad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sers, Nov 12, 2006.

1. sers macrumors regular

Hey guys.

A couple of times now, the power to my house has gone out when my iMac was asleep. When the power came back, I simply powered the computer up - no problems. Just wondering if that's bad for the internals.

Should I be shutting down in case it happens again? Any thoughts on this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's theoretically fine for your machine and you won't lose any data, but that's not actually always the case in real life. These power cuts are often coupled with mini surges which can fry your machine. If you don't have a UPS system installed then I'd recommend shutting the machine down if you think this may happen again. In addition, if there's a lightening storm in the area then unplug it from the wall too, as an added precaution. :)

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

^^ What MJ said. If you have a power outage or electrical storm, physically unplug (not just turn off the equipment. Wait til power is back on/storm is over, and then replug and power up. Bad electical surges have a nasty habit of just ignoring "off" switches. Esp. because pretty much all computers and home electonics use "soft power" switches and there is actually still continuity to the AC outlet to keep trickle power going -- so you can use the remote to power on the TV, for example.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I thought that as long as you had your computer connected to a surge protector that you should be safe. Maybe I'm wrong.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depends how good the surge protector is and how much you're willing to rely on it really. :eek:

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It all depends on the type of surge and also where the lightning strikes!

If you have a close lightning strike and your system is connected to a wired network or phone line, you may just as well not have a surge protector at all. I have seen laptops, and desktop systems get fried through their network cards, and modems (looking at the modem or network circuits, noting visible damage to resistors and capacitors), even while being connected to a surge protector. In those cases the strike occurred on the phone line, or somehow got through the network switch / hub from it's power source.

In theory you should disconnect your power, network, and monitor's power if you want to be safe from lightning strikes.

I have also heard that tying knots in the power cord causes the cord to act like a resistor for the high current that goes through the power lines. I haven't done it, but I suppose it makes some sense I guess. :confused:

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've never had problems so far with my protection, so I'll just keep on going with it. I like to gamble with my ****ing machines.

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am not sure if you are taking the advice wrong, or are trying to be funny :confused: . Do what you like, or want to do. We just tried to answer your questions :) .

I don't follow my own advice all the time either ;)

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I never had a question, but I'm being funny. I just don't worry about it that much since I've never had an issue with power surges and my computers.

10. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Yo - you - yeah you!!! I have a few bridges for sale!!!

Seriously, I don't know where you heard that one, but you can untie all those knots. That's not going to do a thing for you in a lightning strike, or a power surge, or, or, well, anything. Oh - my major college study was in electronics, till I went into computers and programming and then networking.

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Please re-read my post

I have no knots to untie, and thanks for sharing your education history with us ;) .

12. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

as said above it should be safe, never hurt my macs at all. so there should be no worries.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It only takes once. I've never had an issue with being run over but I still stop and look both ways before crossing the street.

Inexpensive surge suppressors that rely on metal oxide varistors. These are cheap and cheerful. Every MOV breaks down over time as it is hit many small spikes and surges, and eventually shorts out, leaving you completely unprotected. They also have a nasty little habit of bursting into flame when they fail.

Better models use fuses and other, more expensive surge suppression components to provide protection, and/or provide a testing circuit to indicate when the MOV components have failed and the unit should be replaced.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have heard that too, however since the way that would work is if lots of current goes through it, it would melt the cable, but that would happen after a good bit of current has gotten through and that takes alot of power to do! :D

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, I've made it a good idea to replace my surge strips every few years just for the fact of degradation. Any recommendations on a strip with a fuse? How can I tell when I buy one?

16. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I also heard that Apple have managed to boot Windows on PowerPC Macs...

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

PCI-card computer or booting PowerPC Windows? :D

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Regardless of your opinion or attitude on the subject, I am not endorsing it. I simply posted that I have heard of people doing this with regards to protecting their systems from lightning strikes, and so has someone else.

If you google around the subject, you can find allot on this topic with regards to supporting or debunking it. I am not sure it works, but the inductance portion of it makes sense in theory (albeit loose theory).

19. sers thread starter macrumors regular

I can understand the risks during an electrical storm. When I meant the power went out, it was because of a blackout and not because of a storm. I should have been more clear, I guess. The powergrid here is sometimes unreliable.