1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Power outlet in Japan (overseas)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by YS2003, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. macrumors 68020


    I have Ti/Al Powerbook purchased in NY, USA. It has the regular two-unequal-prong power outlet. Can I use my PBs in Japan. I know Japan and USA are similar in frequency (50hz/60hz) and voltage (100 for Japan and 120 V for USA). Almost all of Japanese electricnics are tuned for 50hz/60hz and 100 to 120 V. But, I am not sure about the shape of the power outlet. I heard some countries use equal prong outlet while some use unequal prong like USA. I should not be asking this question as I am originally from Japan (but I've been in states more than 10 years and my memory about it has been very hazy (or almost wiped out) at best.
  2. macrumors G3

    Apple World Travel Adapter Kit

    What you want is the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit - The AC plugs included in the World Travel Adapter Kit directly support outlets in North America, Japan, China, United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Korea, Australia, and Hong Kong.

    It has 6 adapters and is $39(US).
  3. macrumors 68020


    Thanks for your reply. But, is it necessary to buy one as Japan and USA seem to have the identical outlet shape and voltage? I think most of US goods are compatible for either 50 or 60 hz. If someone who does frequent travel between Japan and USA is reading this thread, please chime in. I have the household-full of computers/electronics bought in USA which I may want to bring home in the near future.
  4. macrumors newbie

    JPN and US are the same. You do not need to purchase anything special.
  5. macrumors G3

    To be clear the Apple World Travel Adapter kit is only really the plug. The powersupply you have is autoranging. Which is why the 6 adapters are relatively inexpensive. I just don't know which adapter is for which country. Japan and teh US may use the same plug, I don't know.
  6. macrumors 65816


    i just got back from a term abroad in japan, you already have everything you need.

Share This Page