Power Point vs. Keynote

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eclipse525, Feb 17, 2005.

1. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

I've used Power Point before but I have never used Keynote. I know that MOST everyone in the corporate world uses PP but considering that Keynote exports to Power Point, I was wondering if it should be consider the presentation app of choice. I wanted to hear others opinions form their own experiences as to which of these apps is clearly the best at what they do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

~e

2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Keynote looks better, Powerpoint had more advanced features. I use both, depending on what I need to do.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i think keynote presentations look more polished and professional personally, however, the export feature does take away some of the things that makes keynote as awesome as it is, so if the computer you have to run the presentation off of has to be a windows box, your best bet would be sticking to PP so you dont have to worry about compatibility issues at all

4. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

I give between 2 and 6 presentations a week and until the release of Version 2 of Keynote used PP for about 90% of them. Keynote has come a long way since Version 1. Version 2 is a great deal better than Version 1 and the new presenter tools and more importantly, for me anyway, the new linked build in and build out features of Version 2 mean that if I am using my powerbook to run the presentation I don't even think about using PP anymore.

5. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

For me Keynote look's and just seem's easier to work with.
    Also it is an apple app so it is more intigrated to the OS/Hardware.
    I choose keynote in front of PP also because of price ;)

6. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

Those are all good points in my opinion, but for me, it is the easy and speed that I can create the presentations I want/need. I have been using presentation software for over 10 years, Lotus Freelance Graphics, PP, Impression ect. Keynote is by far the most intuitive I have used. I never use the templates, but I can imagine for new or occasional users they are very useful.

7. dcollierp macrumors member

As a user of both Keynote and PowerPoint I have almost exclusively switched to Keynote (I am still on version 1). Whenever I need to present on a windows machine I just export to PDF and choose a transition in Acrobat reader that looks professional. I do at least one presentation a week and keynote is by far easier to build presentations in.

8. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Thanks for all the opinions. I suppose that since most of my presentations will mostly whind up on a Windows Laptop then I'll stick to PowerPoint but I will use Keynote as often as I can.

I have a stupid question. FYI, i'm still new with the whole presentation apps. How do i get a song (MP3) to play through my whole presentation. What I did was import the MP3 into the first slide and when I go to veiw the slide show, the first slide shows up and the music starts playing BUT it gets stuck on that first slide. How do I solve this problem?

~e

9. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

This is one of those really easy to do things with Keynote.
    Go to the Document tab on the Inspector panel and at the bottom you will see a Box with a title Audio. Click the button next to the box titled iTunes Library and select the song you want. Done.

10. eclipse525 thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

OK... let's say i redo the whole presentation in Keynote and add a soundtrack/song to the presentation/slide show to play through out, WILL it still play correctly if I export that presenation to PowerPoint?

I know of an add-on for PowerPoint called "Music-Span" that allows you to do just what you mentioned. The problem is that it's only available Windows not Mac.

~e

11. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

I have to say that I have never done a presentation were I wanted a sound track to play all the way through, I like the sound of my voice to much! I just tried exporting a Keynote presentation with sound track to PP 2004 and the presentation ran fine but with out the sound.

12. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

You could also export from Keynote to an interactive QuickTime movie. This will play the music and allows you to run the presentation. If you want to chat in more detail you can contact me through AIM or iChat, I will defiantly be available for the next hour, and during the day, UK, tomorrow.

13. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

imho Keynote handles multimedia much more easily and slickly than does powerpoint. Its ideal for movies and pictures, animations, ect. and all objects can be intuitively lined up with great ease. I have both, but do almost everything in Keynote due to its tight integration with quicktime technology. Livetype+Keynote is an amazing combination. Also, Keynote lacks that "powerpoint-abuse boredom" vibe.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Why will you be so defiant? :confused: ;)

15. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

mmmm, must be more careful with the spell checker.