Power shock

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jotamurray, May 5, 2005.

1. jotamurray macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005
    I have a brand new PB 15". At the office i sometimes get static electricity shocks when i touch my PB. I took no notice til 2 nights ago I noticed a prolonged electric discharge on my wrist coming form the lower right corner. I called the technical service and they say this could be dangerous. If this is the case... does this mean that aluminum design is a hazard?
  2. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    If you're using the small connector on the power brick, that's why. It's not grounded, so you will feel a small tingle, and it's perfectly normal. (I've spoken with someone at Apple about this)

If you use the long cable supplied, it is grounded, and doesn't have this issue.
  3. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    touching something metal that is grounded before you touch the powerbook wouldn't be to shabby of an idea. i would suggest your ground yourself. your pb case probably protects anything that would be erased by an esd. fyi, you don't have feel a esd to do harm. you can discharge static electricity from your body and not even feel it, and still do damage to a chip.
  4. jotamurray thread starter macrumors member

Apr 30, 2005

Ok thanks. I am using a notebook surge protector and since then I don't have a problem