Power supply G3 b/w kaput - what are my options?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by UK61, Dec 21, 2003.

1. UK61 macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2003
    Hi to all
    I have bought a used G3 b/w in fine condition with 500MHZ - machine was working great when testing it.
    But...after carrying it home and connecting I accidently short circuited it. Looks like the power supply is dead - don't know about other parts yet.

Now I found out what power supply originally is built in, a API-8594 /
    Power Supply PM G3 Blue & White (p/n 661-2107) 614-0085.
    This is hard to get where I live and rather expensive too.
    Do I have any other option, are there any other power supplies one could use for this machine?

TIA for any input!
  2. UK61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2003
    True, I'm already monitoring ebay. Not much on offer right now over here.
    The thing is I would like to have a fast way to test the machine - is it only the power supply or has more been destroyed? If it's really just the power supply I'd definitely be willing to spend the money on an original part.
  3. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    It's not worth it to fix it. The power supply is the most expensive part of the computer to replace. Obviously except for the logic board.

I would say just buy a new computer. It'll pbbly be about the same cost.

Sorry. That stinks. :(
  4. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Some PC power supplies can be modified to work on Powermacs, search www.xlr8yourmac.com for more info, I swear I saw something like that in there...
  5. UK61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2003
    >most expensive
    Hmm, I could get the power supply for something like 140-150 €. A good b/w G3 goes for around 500-700 €....

Thanks for the tip, vniow, going to look into that.
  6. UK61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2003
    Great tip, thanks!

Looks like any ATX supply will do - provided the motherboard connector is long enough. One slight modification needed. I probably have an ATX supply in an old box somewhere..

For reference:
  7. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Same thing happened to me, I got a new PS from computer DNA for 100 bucks.

8. UK61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 21, 2003
    Well, I'm happy to report a simple atx PS does the job after snipping the -5 cable on the mainboard connector. Only problem is the length of the cables, have placed the HD on top of the CD drive for now.
    But - perhaps it was just the fuse in the original PS, going to replace it with a new one and see if it works again.