Power Supply Noise on Dual 1GHz G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tommy Wasabi, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

I've just purchased a custom PC (I know I know - but it's a kick ass gaming platform) that was made specifically to be quiet - 20db @ 1M - it's as quiet as my 15" AuBook! - no kidding. Ah, back to my point...

My Dual 1-Ghz G4 power supply is making a ton of noise. I never noticed it before because my previous gaming PC sounded like a F18 taking off on the flight deck of the USS Enterprise - I thought the Mac was quiet until just recently.

Question: Has anyone replaced their power supply on their G4 recently (the warranty/recall that Apple has for some reason doesn't apply to me - so I'll have to buy it). Is the noise signifiantly reduced?

Believe me, you don't realize how NICE it is to have quiet when you are using your computer - music sounds so much better, games are more entertaining.

Thx.

- for those of you wondering. The PC is made custom by Marauder PC in Virginia (marauderpc.com) - 3.2Ghz, 1G RAM, 2 SATA HD's in RAID 0 240G, Audigy 2, Geforce 5900, etc... When I booted it up for the first time, I thought I broke something because I couldn't hear it - I thought, damn, is this thing on?

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I have a Dual 1GHz G4 DDR and yes it is a lot more quiet with the PSU kit. It can hardly be described as silent though. It can still be downright loud when the ambient temperature is high.

I think Apple finished the upgrade offer for the kits a while back. I don't know if they still do them?