Power Supply Noise on Dual 1GHz G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Tommy Wasabi, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Tommy Wasabi macrumors member

Tommy Wasabi

Sep 10, 2003
    I've just purchased a custom PC (I know I know - but it's a kick ass gaming platform) that was made specifically to be quiet - 20db @ 1M - it's as quiet as my 15" AuBook! - no kidding. Ah, back to my point...

My Dual 1-Ghz G4 power supply is making a ton of noise. I never noticed it before because my previous gaming PC sounded like a F18 taking off on the flight deck of the USS Enterprise - I thought the Mac was quiet until just recently.

Question: Has anyone replaced their power supply on their G4 recently (the warranty/recall that Apple has for some reason doesn't apply to me - so I'll have to buy it). Is the noise signifiantly reduced?

Believe me, you don't realize how NICE it is to have quiet when you are using your computer - music sounds so much better, games are more entertaining.

- for those of you wondering. The PC is made custom by Marauder PC in Virginia (marauderpc.com) - 3.2Ghz, 1G RAM, 2 SATA HD's in RAID 0 240G, Audigy 2, Geforce 5900, etc... When I booted it up for the first time, I thought I broke something because I couldn't hear it - I thought, damn, is this thing on?
  2. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I have a Dual 1GHz G4 DDR and yes it is a lot more quiet with the PSU kit. It can hardly be described as silent though. It can still be downright loud when the ambient temperature is high.

I think Apple finished the upgrade offer for the kits a while back. I don't know if they still do them?