Powerbook 12" 1.33 or 1.5 GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ucaggie, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ucaggie macrumors newbie

Sorry if this is a repost, I don't know if it went through on the correct thread.

I have never owned a Mac and am looking at a combo-drive powerbook from MacConnections.com. Both will come with a free 512 mb stick installed, but then for the rev D, the 256 mb stick that originally comes with it is taken out. The price difference is $200. Here are the differences:

Processor speed:
    1.5 GHz (Rev D)
    1.33 GHz (Rev C)

Hard drive:
    60 GB, 5400 RPM (D)
    60 GB, 4200 RPM (C)

Other new stuff for D:
    Bluetooth 2.0
    Sudden Motion Sensor
    New Trackpad with scrolling

I plan on keeping the Powerbook for about 2 or 2 1/2 years. I am not particularly knowledgable about the programs it comes with, but I'll probably play around with programs such as Garageband. I'm also a casual, but not a heavy gamer, so I'll probably play games such as Warcraft III. I'll probably use it for everyday tasks, such as homework, word processing, the internet, etc. I like the sudden motion sensor, but I don't plan on owning any bluetooth gadgets for a while, nor am I going to use the trackpad much (I like using mice). I know that the iBook will be of better value for my objectives, but I've always wanted a Powerbook mainly for its aluminum casing.

The two main unaddressed questions are processor speed and hard drive speed. I would figure that due to the bus speed that there isn't as much as a difference between 1.33 GHz and 1.5 GHz as there is on paper. Also, what types of applications will the hard drive speed difference affect, and is the loading time for certain applications that drastic?

Thanks for reading,
    Ken

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

You really want the faster hard drive. A slow hard drive can ruin a good computing experience. Apps tend to launch slower and gaming performance dwindles. Going from my laptop with a 4200 to my iMac's SATA is a huge difference.

3. ucaggie thread starter macrumors newbie

I wished the Powerbook had SATA. However, the fastest HD speed is 5400 rpm for the Powerbook. How would the 5400 rpm compare with the 4200 rpm?

4. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

The interface type makes little difference. The limiting factors with a notebook drive are related to the mechanics of the drive, eg: rotational speed and access time.

5. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

This set of Barefeats benchmarks shows the difference between 4200rpm, 5400rpm and 7200rpm notebook drives:

http://barefeats.com/pb12.html