Powerbook 12" and friends

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by quidire, Oct 12, 2004.

1. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Hello all,

I'm switching!!! I've unwittingly cried wolf on this forum, as I planned to do this in July then again in late August, but I'm finally actually going to do this.

PB 12, 1.25 GB RAM (non apple) combo + LaCie dvd burner

My questions are as follows:
    1) how necessary are these plastic films people seem to buy to place on the monitor and keyboard? I'd rather not use them if the option is reasonable.
    2) what games from the following list will operate fluidly on this computer? (I realize the mac is not a great gaming platform; It is the only platform I care to use at this stage, and if you think mac gaming is in a tough spot, try Linux gaming post-Loki)

Space Colony
    Europa Universalis 2
    Homeworld 2
    Worms 3D
    Republic: The Revolution
    Warcraft III
    SimCity 4
    Freeverse : Robin Hood
    The Sims (and all the offshoots)

3) Crucial vs OWC Samsung vs OWC generic for RAM?

4) Anyone know anything about the CEO Milano™ Leather Brief? It looks quite nice, and is my current selection for a case/bag.

5) I realize that a PB refresh will be soon, but I absolutely need a computer ASAP. I can wait until next week if any of you think that Oct 19th is a relevant date (as I have heard mentioned).

6) what BT 2 button w/ scroll mouse would you suggest? theMouse BT has been released, but the owner of the company is frightening, and the reviews have been so-so...

7) with the 60GB color iPod on the horizon, I thought I would go w/ an iPod mini. Thoughts/suggestions for accessories? iTrip mini, PowerPod from Griffin and a case from Vaja (I like leather!) are already preselected.

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

About the mouses....pic up the Logitech's new MX1000 it has the best reviews....or if you have to have bluetooth the Logitech MX900 is you answer

3. Gee macrumors 65816

1) I've had mine for 18 months with no protecting films or anything, and it's fine. Quick wipe with a damp cloth and it looks like new.

3) Crucial would be my recommendation

Sorry, don't have answers to your other questions

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Don't bother getting a film or anything just get a decent bag to carry it about. This is a great computer, you're sure to love it. It should run all the games on that list pretty well. People complain about the video card in it but it's not that bad...

5. brap macrumors 68000

Gaming, all those will run fine. SimCity 4 runs great if you turn off a couple of the crazy pretty options, like clouds.

Also, UT2004 runs quite well (which surprised me, too!)
    Battlefield 1942 will run... palatably. Online it's a bit too slow to be at your best, shall we say.

Sounds like you'll get a really nice machine there, best of luck with your purchase!

6. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Hi,

The 12" is a great machine, I got mine before the school year started, as I needed something a bit more beefed up for Grad school than the G3 800 iBook. The 12" has been a great machine so far. It runs warcraft 3 fine for me, I don't play any of the other games you listed. I also have an iPod mini, and I like it because it's so small - It's in my pocket all day while on campus, so It's nice to notice it's not there.

As for mice, I went for a non-bt wireless keyboard/mouse combo from kensington, because I don't bring a mouse with me to school, so the fact that I needed another cord didn't bother me (plus, it was a lot cheaper)

Good luck with your purchase.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But we've been through this soooo many times since August!

Okay, I'll bite. However, I think you know the answer to pretty much all of this. You do. ;) OWC for 1 GB of RAM. Games run fine. Most of the bags mentioned in other threads will all offer good protection. MouseBT is fine, and you can turn it off...Logitech MX900 is another good choice. Wait until next week if you want, but even a 0.133GHz boost in speed for the 12" won't be worth the wait if you need a computer soon. Whether you get the iPod mini or iPod......you'll be happy with either since they're both good products. Accessories for your iPod aren't a necessity, but I guess you can get what you need. I just bought my first armband yesterday to hold my iPod during my jogs.

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

WC3 runs great in my powerbook (1.33ghz),
    The sims runs ok on my G4@400mhz too (haven't played it since i used Jaguar, i think it runs great in all macs with 600+mhz).
    I've never played space colony, but the reqs are 733 mhz, the powerbook has 1333mhz so it should be more than good enuff.
    Same with Worms 3.

Chech the reqs on the game, usually a game runs ok on a computer which matches the reqs. For best possible game play you often want to have a machine which are at least 25-50% than the reqs.

I'm not gaming much, but Command and Conquer Generals runs good on this machine (not great, but its very decent..).
    Dungeon Siege run good, Unreal 2003 runs good too.

Haven't tried Halo and Unreal 2004, but i suppose they would run ok with some settings turned down.