PowerBook 12" cosmetic issues

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Totalshock, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Totalshock macrumors member

A couple of questions for PB 12 owners.

1) Have you done anything about the fingerprints and palmprints that gather on the machine, particularly the saline-looking stains where your palms rest, or on the outside of the machine? I want to try to clean this up, but haven't found anything that works thus far?

2) Has anyone noticed a discolouration or scratching of the wristrest area, little black specs in the silver finish? I have noticed it in the area of the left wristrest, and am wondering if it was caused by wearing a watch while using the machine. Anyone have any luck getting those out and/or preventing them in the first place?

Any help would be muc appreciated.

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Those thing shouldn't hapen in first place.

I hope they come with a "cosmetic" revision soon.

3. Gidman macrumors member

New York, the City so nice they named it twice
  4. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I don't personally own 12" PowerBook so I don't really have any suggestions as to how to solve your problems. But I just want to make couple of observations. First I think finger print and etc is hardly a problem compared to previous TiBook's problems with paint flaking off. Second, this just goes to show how hard it is for a company to come up with perfect machine, as some sort of issue will always arise no matter what.

5. Totalshock thread starter macrumors member

I don't doubt that it's miles better... and based on a TiBook I saw last week, it's tremendously better. BUT... that doesn't change the fact that I dislike the fact that my new notebook constantly looks like it's smeared with salty stains, and that less than a month after buying it, I appear to have permanent black marks on the wristrest because I did something as every day as wearing a wristwatch while working on my computer.

It's not a huge issue, either way... but if there's any way to fix it, I'd like to know.

Gid -- thanks for the link... that did wonders for removing the handprints. Now If I could just tackle these damned black specs....

6. Gidman macrumors member

New York, the City so nice they named it twice
    Powerbook prints

Your tremendously welcome for the free advice. I hear you about the salty smears taking away from the overall imperssion of the powerbook, but I thinks its an incredible machine with so many other great points. The keyboard is a joy to use, it reminds of the satisfying click from the old IBM keyboards of the PS/2 era. It is nce and smooth and above all else TINY!

(not to mention the coolest looking and stable machine around. I put a lot of prinde in the inherent beauty and design of apple computers and while this certainly isn'tas revolutionary a design as the sunflower Iimac, it is a beautiful, smooth, rounded and yet still "professional" looking machine.)

Gid

7. yogi477 macrumors regular

iKlear?

I got some of those iKlear wipes free with a magazine over here in the UK but havent tried them out yet, has anyone else? They come as a pair (one to wipe one to dry) and claim to remove the stains you mention. Apart from this and the heat though, I am so pleased with my PB its untrue.

8. markomarko macrumors member

Salt stains?

what, are you a sailor?

Sorry, I just find that funny. I've no problems with my 12" as far as salt stains go. My watch aggravates on any laptop I work on, so I usually take it off.

9. ian559 macrumors member

I have had mine a month now. Whenever I see a mark I use a paper towel with a few spritzes of windex on it. Has worked for me every time. I use mine at least 5 hours a day and I have no black marks on my handrest.

As to the strenth of it. My St Bernard knocked it off a small table and when I came out he was standing on it.......
    Not a single mark....... Try that on a tibook

10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Re: iKlear?

I've got them and an iKlear spray thingy with some cloths from a place in Cambridge, UK. I don't know about PBs but they clean up my ibook and Studio Display a treat. Shame they don't remove the scratches in my ibook though:(

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the problem with apple's current line of laptops is that while they look nice in the store brand new, they are prone to showing dirt and stains

my rev a ibook has ingrained stains that simply will not go away...the black compaq laptop i have, while it has lots of other problems, still basically looks the same in appearance as to when i purchased it

a black plastic laptop is easiest to keep clean looking, and if apple wants to have the strength, they should try black annodized aluminum and black annodized titanium

12. markomarko macrumors member

Cosmetic issues.

I only use cosmetics that haven't been tested on animals on my powerbook.

13. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i use iklear to clean all my macs, gives it a very nice shiny look, as for the other things you talked about i havent had problems with.

iJon

14. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

Does this stain thing happen on the Titanium?

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Cosmetic issues.

my ibook doesn't use real fur...or even faux fur for that matter