PowerBook 12"- Go for it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Aug 27, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Buying Mac...

I'm thinking

PowerBook 12"
    G4 1.33ghz
    256mb Ram (I'll see how I do, if i need more i'll upgrade at crucial)
    60gb Hard Drive
    SuperDrive
    Stock Model (just incase i don't like it so i can return it)

HP deskjet 5850 wireless printer

What do you think- I use microsoft office (yea i have to buy), iLife apps, maybe FCE

2. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

I have the exact same setup, and it is great. Like I said to you in the PM, if you are going to custom order it, you should get the 5400 80gb harddrive. But I also understand your reasoning for wanting to keep it stock. I had the same reasons, plus I did not want to wait, I just liked the convience of going to the store and buying it. Either way is good, but if you choose to order it, go for the 80gb. Also, I havn't really noticed the 256mb ram being 'bad', but then again I havn't been exposed to anything better. The 256 is definatly usable without problems, but I'm going to eventually upgrade to 768mb just because that seems to be very recommended.

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I'd go for it. Though I would upgrade the RAM right after you get it. It will be a lot more useable with more than 256mb.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Thats a good setup. At least 512 mb of ram will make Panther speedy. But, you will see if you need panther to bounce. I would wait though intill paris. With the rumor of a G5 Pbook coming, it wouldn't hurt to wait. But, the G5 pbooks are only going to be the 15" and 17" pbooks. The 12" will get the 1.5 Ghz G4 or get killed(resulting in lower prices for inventory).

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

double post, sorry.( stupid servers being busy. Making me think my reply didn't go through)

6. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

7. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

The 12" PowerBook is a great notebook, and you won't be disappointed. The latest revision with the 1.33GHz G4 processor really moves things along at a decent pace, and the screen brightness and heat issues both seem to be improved over the previous revision.

256MB will be OK provided you aren't going to be multitasking a lot, but as you say, it will be easy to try it out and upgrade later if necessary. The RAM upgrade is a simple procedure which could be easily handled by just about any user.

The only thing I would possibly question is the choice of a Superdrive. Sure, a DVD burner is a very handy thing to have, but if you don't think you will need to burn DVDs 'on the road', then you might be better served by an external Firewire or USB2 burner. 16x DVD burners are reaching the mainstream now, along with double sided burners, and are relatively cheap. You might be able to use the money saved by buying the combo drive model to buy a much faster external drive in an enclosure, which can be upgraded or replaced much more easily down the track when obsolete (as opposed to being stuck inside the PowerBook). Just a thought.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Go for it man, it's one of Apple's best offerings IMO. Three of my friends have them (I have a 15").

9. dav macrumors 6502

10. LiveForPhysics macrumors newbie

I too was tempted with the 12" Powerbook, but ended up ordering a 15" simply because of its longevity.

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

As usual, when it comes to oingoboingo... I'm behind this thought 100%. I see NO need for burning DVDs on the road... *especially* with a roadster computer... so my vote goes no for the SuperDrive (as I write this from my Rev B 12)

12. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

That will be a great computer, but you will need more ram, and the super drive is a personal opinion thing, more than a 'he says yes, she says no' thing. I personally asked myself if I was burning DVD's now, my answer-No. Could I see my self burning DVD's, my answer-No. Did I need to, my answer-No. Otherwise, the computer will be very sound, and last you a lot longer than your Dull did.

13. JLaFrance macrumors member

My two cents re. the Superdrive, i've never used mine (the burn DVDs), but i got it just to have the option to...but if (when) i get my PB, im going to go with the combo-drive.

14. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I use my 12" Rev. B PB for video editing (FCE) all the time and have no problems with it. Go for it - you won't regret it.

JOD8FY

P.S. - Upgrade the RAM and stick with the Superdrive.

15. Bobcat37 macrumors member

I also am in the market for a 12" PB, but I think I will wait for Paris just incase any upgrades or price drops are made. Considering AEP starts in only 3 days, not waiting would be pretty stupid IMO.

However if nothing changes, I would recommend getting 512 RAM for your PB and probably upgrading the HDD.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well they're not going to announce the 4th Alu PB revisions at an Expo.....it's a non-event type of thing. There could be one in October or November on a random Tuesday, but who knows. All I know is that a comparable 12" Sony costs heaps more, and their new 13" Vaio......the most amazing laptop ever (except the video "card", which isn't good, but not bad I guess). But the cost is around 2x more for either of these systems. The 12" PB is the best small laptop deal in the world. Seriously. You can wait until October or November, but the next speed bump will be small anyway, possibly to the 1.5GHz G4 for the 12" PB, so I wouldn't bother waiting for that. That 0.166 GHz isn't worth a second thought. :)

Only get the Superdrive if you're going to use iDVD, but if you don't care, get an external. They're better anyways. So get a combo drive instead, extra RAM from Crucial, and the faster Harddrive. :)

17. Bobcat37 macrumors member

Well, I can't afford to wait until Oct or Nov due to school, but just to play my cards safe I'm gonna wait till after the Expo. If nothing happens, then oh well, that's 5 less days I could have been using my PB... no big deal ;)

Also, all this talk about extra RAM from Crucial... Is it really worth buying it from them separately and installing it myself? (is installing it easy? I've only ever messed with Apple towers, never a laptop)

18. quidire macrumors 6502

quidire

Having just been informed that it makes a difference on my own 12" PB thread :eek: I went and checked up on it; here are the price differences:
    (this incl education discount, as I gather you are a student; the price difference is only more stark if you are not)
    Code:
    12" PB Standard: 256 MB
    additional stick     Total RAM    Apple prices     Crucial Prices
    + 256 SODIMM            512 MB         $90                 $53
    + 512 SODIMM            768 MB         $270                $107
    + 1GB SODIMM           1.25 GB         $630                $480
    (prices as of 9:45 EDT, 8/28/04)
    That's pretty convincing... I don't know how hard it is to install the RAM, but I'd imagine not too difficult.

-RS

19. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Unscrew door, pop lid off, insert RAM at angle, replace lid, rescrew screws.

20. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Abstract,
    Were you the one who started the thread on that 13.3" Vaio a few days ago? I saw it the other day and it's nice. It's 200 bucks more than a 12" Powerbook and the only computer that is currently tempting me away from the Mac.

Re: Superdrive
    I've just recently started using my Superdrive in my iMac. It's handy and it sort of future-proofs your machine. However, as others have mentioned, you could always add an external one later should the need arise.

Squire

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, I saw it in a Sony brochure today. It's approximately $4500 Australian, while the 12" PB is $2300, minus the edu discount if you're eligible. So yup, that's where I got the price difference. :)

I don't know about tempting me away from Apple, but what I know is that they made an amazing laptop...... the best in the PC world, IMO. But if the build quality and appearance of Vaio's of the past are any indication, it won't be as good once you try it out. ;) Their 10" is a cheap toy, although very nice if you like the size. I love my 12" PB, just wish it had a 13" Widescreen with wicked screen and resolution. It makes more sense to make a 13", 15", and 17" anyway.

EDIT TO ADD: Wait, I just checked Sony.ca, and yeah, its only a few hundred dollars difference between the base model 13" Sony and the 12" PB. The one I saw in the brochure was the top model. Now that I think about it, that new 13" Sony isn't that much more expensive after all...... hmmmmmm, tempting ;)

22. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Yeah, here, it's about 200 bucks more than the PB considering the edu. discount. I must point out, though, to the original poster that if it were up to me I'd have a 12" PB by now. It's just that here in Korea some of the banks' encryption systems don't seem to work with Macs. In addition, my PC is starting to act up. My iMac, on the other hand, is a workhorse.

Squire

23. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

The sony machine is all for show. Who would honestly pay all that money for something with that small a screen and that big a price. The PowerBook range are at the right price for everything they offer(Speed, H/Ware, Mac Os X :D:) The Sony runs Windblows for God's sake. If anyone has the Sony in question, tell us what they think of it, I for one would like to know.

24. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

paxtonandrew,
    I appreciate a lot of your comments on this board but is it that hard to understand that some people actually need a Windows machine? My 1.6 GHz P4 is starting to act up and I thought the Vaio might be a decent replacement. Besides, have you actually seen/used the Sony? It seems to be a pretty nice machine for the price. (Please offer alternatives, if you know any.)

Squire

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Small screen, big price? I'd pay that much for a 12" PB. Oh wait, I already did!

The bias around here is huge. Go to a Mac website, and you get people talking about how fast their Sony deteriorated, making them switch. Ask someone at a PC site, and they tell you their PCs run fine and never crashes. And as long as you have a virus check, its smooth as butter and productive to boot.

...Then they'll tell you that Macs can't do anything, but are cute. :rolleyes: But most don't even badmouth Macs as much as Mac users badmouth PCs.

I've never had my 3 year old PC crash on me completely. Programs that have crashed: Mozilla, Excel, and Word (on occasion). On the Mac: Mozilla, Word, Excel, plus one kernel panic making me reset completely.

I like the Vaio, but I've never used it. It could be good. If Apple announced an identical model, you'd be changing your underpants right now because it's just that good.