Powerbook 12" inch or ibook 12". Now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mpopkin, Jul 31, 2005.

1. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

Hey
    i am looking to buy either a ibook 12", one of the new ones, i really like the fact that they added SMS, scrollpad feature and bluetooth, but am caught on whether i should hold out for a new powerbook, it really is the memory that drives me nuts about the pbook and if it took a single dimm of mem built in instead of two, i would buy it in a second, but i am wondering if there is an extreme difference between the 12" ibook and pbook other than the specs and is the performance lag as much it may seem
    any advice is welcome
    thanks

2. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

There is not an extreme difference, but the iBook is definitely a lower-spec machine. You may notice some instances where the slower hard drive in the iBook is a hassle. If you need extra graphics muscle, the PowerBook would be a better bet. CPU speed is not a major issue on the iBook, though. The iBooks are sufficiently fast for most tasks.

What do you need your computer for?

3. mpopkin thread starter macrumors 6502

mpopkin

watching movies, photoshop, word and music

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Would you be wanting/needing to screen span at all with Photoshop?

The PowerBook is better set up for this sort of stuff but otherwise, seeing as you already have a pretty nice desktop, I'd recommend the iBook. It'll be fine. :)

5. Tahko macrumors regular

You should wait for the iBook update. Could be next months 3rd Tuesday, or any Tuesday afterwards. Most likely within 6 months anyway.

6. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Simple solution my friend gave me when he was deciding the same thing:

1) Buy iBook if you want one.
    2) Buy PowerBook if you can afford one!

Are you a student?

7. mpopkin thread starter macrumors 6502

mpopkin

1)i am a student, so soon would be a good thing(free iPod, + Tax free weekend :D)
    2)The ibook was just updated last week, why would i wait another 6 months,
    3) I dont use the span feature that often, prefering to work on an individual picture that is usually large res.
    4) i can afford a pbook, but think that right now it is a waste of extra money, because the pb is not that much more impressive, and i like the iPod deal and a tax free weekend sweetens the deal, but i have to look at all aspects, is it possible that a new pb will come out in September, thats the biggest worry or shopping concern.
    any advice is great
    thanks

8. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I think iBooks are perfect for students. I also think the same about PowerBooks so no help there!

My friend is choosing a PowerBook over an iBook. He too can afford it and freely admits that an iBook is all he needs for what he will do at university, however he prefers the styling of the PowerBook and thinks the extras, being as he can afford it, is worth it.

Unfortunately here in the UK we do not have the same sweet iPod deal that is present in the US, which does make the iBook look very very good.

If you are thinking more along an iBook and got one, would it matter that much if a new PowerBook came out? I imagine it would matter more if you brought a PowerBook now only to see it change.

But this is the never ending cycle when buying computers, it will be out of date soon anyway, whatever and whenever you buy it. You just have to find the best time, count your chickens and jump on the bandwagon. Unfortunately with Apple we never really know whats coming round the corner for 100% until it is there! Wait past September and you've got the Christmas season approaching, then we shall be expecting and waiting for the first Intel Macs to appear.

I imagine this all seems very cryptic and useless to you! For that I apologise! But I think now is the perfect time to buy an iBook and at present an iBook seems the better bet. Just my view! to be honest sometimes I prefer the iBook to the PowerBook in looks etc, and would love to have an iBook in the family somewhere!

Hope this helps in anyway possible!!

9. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

what is it with people waiting to buy new hardware? if you need a new system just buy whatever is current and be happy for goodness sake.

10. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I was going to get a 12" PB, but after the iBook updates, I saw that there would only be a small performance advantage with the PB that would not be worth the extra $350. I m just going to do the regular stuff (Office, Safari, iTunes, lite Photoshop Elements) and don't plan on spanning the screen to an external monitor, using any audio in, or playing any games. Just want a nice daily use laptop and the current 12" iBook fits that perfectly.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm faced with this as well. I need to replace my desktop with a laptop in 3 weeks, when I start law school. If the powerbooks have been updated by then, that's what I'll get. If not, I don't see the current 12" powerbook combo as being worth $500 more than the ibook. 167 Mhz, slightly faster bus, DVI and spanning (but there's a hack for the ibook), audio in (no need), slightly smaller and lighter (and I'm probably forgetting other things too).

But the ibook has better battery life, better wifi, and 512 RAM built in instead of 256, all for $500 less. Those minor upgrades are not worth a 50% price bump to me.

I'll go with the ibook for now, and maybe upgrade to a 12" intel-powerbook when they arrive in a year.

12. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Smart man

13. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Yeah the iBooks rock.