Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teronke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
I'm the proud user of a 12' Rev A Powerbook. I'm also running OS 10.3.2. I'm also running Silent Night so I'm not troubled by the fan issue associated with OS 10.3.2.

I love my Pbook to death but there's always something that's bugged me and that's how noisy the Superdrive is.

The problem is during playback. It seems that immediately once it starts playing the fan kicks in at pretty much full speed. This occurs irrespective of whether the Pbook is operating from a cold start or has been running for some time. The strange thing is that I noticed that this problem only applies to CDs. DVDs are whisper quiet by comparison (there's a slight humming from the spinning but no fan - at least until the Pbook heats up).

My first thought is that it had something to do with iTunes, however, not all CDs play as loudly as each other. Some CDs play with the fan running probably at 1/2-3/4 speed while for the rest the fan is howling. Nevertheless all CDs play much louder than DVDs so much so that you wouldn't consider playing a CD in a library or other quiet areas whereas a DVD would be fine.

I also have a large CD and DVD collection so I can rule out faulty discs etc.

Can anyone out there offer any assistance or explanation???

Teronke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Is there anyone out there who can offer me some advice?????

Is this normal??? Or is it something I should complain to Apple about???

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Teronke said:

your problem does seem very common but i doubt anyone has any advice. I had a similiar problem to yours. My Super in my rev a pb was very noisy when playing DVDs, every few seconds, there would be a slight groaning noise, followed by a whisper quite period.
I circumvented this by ripping everythin to the HD before using them.

I don't know if i have the same problem with a CD because I NEVER listen to CDs off of the drive. Call me crazy, but i always had the sense that the more you use a drive, the less likely it's going to stay in tip-top condition. Some components may become loose or something.

ah, i don't know if you have a case... maybe.

I didn't enquire though... i just bought myself a 15-incher and happy as punch. goodluck

Teronke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
iChan said:
your problem does seem very common but i doubt anyone has any advice. I had a similiar problem to yours. My Super in my rev a pb was very noisy when playing DVDs, every few seconds, there would be a slight groaning noise, followed by a whisper quite period.
I circumvented this by ripping everythin to the HD before using them.

Anyone else out there with any other advice??? Is there a magic Unix command that reduces the fan output when playing CDs???

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Teronke said:
Anyone else out there with any other advice??? Is there a magic Unix command that reduces the fan output when playing CDs???

Are you sure you're not mistaking fan noise for the noise the dvd makes when spinning? My iBook is sometimes a little noisy when using a cd/dvd - it sounds a bit like a fan, but it's not the same fan!!

Teronke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
hob said:
Are you sure you're not mistaking fan noise for the noise the dvd makes when spinning? My iBook is sometimes a little noisy when using a cd/dvd - it sounds a bit like a fan, but it's not the same fan!!

No I'm sure it's the fan. The superdrive is whisper quiet when playing DVDs because the fan doesn't kick in but makes an absolute racket when playing CDs as the fan ramps up to full blast.

I find it odd though that it's more noisy when playing CDs compared to DVDs. You would have thought that DVDs generate more heat and thus it would make more sense to have the fan run simultaneously.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
i hate it

Teronke said:

My Combo does the same thing. When its burning a CD or even installing something, its sounds like its actually touching the disc and makes a "squeaking" noise. And it also does that fan thing. ALL THE TIME.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.