Powerbook 12" (Rev C) & WoW Freezes!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Croz, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Croz macrumors newbie

Hey.

My friend and I play WoW; he just started and he has a Rev C powerbook 12”. It’s got the newest version of OSX (Tiger) and all the updates, we just freshly installed the OS (he just bought it) and WoW last night. Everything seems to work great, but randomly the computer will freeze up – sometimes with the UI on the screen, sometimes blank/black, and sometimes it’s just got the terrain.

We have the Video setup with everything on low, and we’ve tested with the vertex shaders both on and off, and then with the pixel shaders on and off… Doesn’t seem to make much of a difference.

Any suggestions on setup or anything?

Thanks a ton.
    Chad

2. AmnesiacOpera macrumors member

I play WoW on a 12" Rev C and it occassionally freezes for me, too. I just began playing a couple weeks ago and the game has probably frozen at least 5 times. I upgraded my ram with a 256mb stick when I began playing, so I was thinking it might be my ram. It's a Lifetime Memory Products stick. I haven't heard anything about the company on any of the mac forums, but it's the ram Microcenter stocks specifically for macs. My computer hasn't frozen outside of WoW, so I'm not too sure it's the ram. I plan on running a memory diagnostic, but I don't have the disks with me currently, so that could be a while from now. Also, I'm running on Panther, and not Tiger. Not enough of a reason for me to update yet, especially when I'm out of a job. But then again, I probably shouldn't be paying $15 a month on WoW. Anyways, this post became much longer than I expected. I hope someone can shed some light on playing WoW on a 12".

3. Croz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the reply!! Im glad people actually use this forum.

Yeah - I hate the freeze it's driving me crazy. My wife's iBook never, ever freezes while playing (even for hours at a time).

I wonder if it's because of Tiger, or some wierd graphic setting somewhere...

Anyway.. If you find anything out let me know!! Thanks again.

Chad

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

maybe its a problem with the video card and some sort of conflict. Most powerbooks, except for the 12" use some sort of ati card, while the 12" has the nvidea...but this is just a guess, I don't know for sure....just what your going through has happened to me on other games, when a patch was released the fix mentioned referenced issues with my graphics card, so that could be the case here.

5. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Is the laptop abnormally hot when this happens. I know my powerbook got VERY warm when I would play UT 2003 and I often worred about system stability. I eventually got an iCurve for when I played games to help keep the air flowing. I would try to keep it cool when you play and see if your problem gets any better.... other than that all I can think of is some type of driver issue with the nVidia card.