PowerBook 12" Screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mjstew33, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I am looking to buy a PowerBook. As for my budget, the PowerBook 12" is the only one I can afford. What I'm concerned about is that when I looked at the screen at CompUSA it looked quite small. I know that it only has 1024x768 because of it's screen size. Does the small screen bother anyone? Like -- is it to small, or what?

Should I go ahead and get the iBook 14" because of it's larger screen?

I REALLLLLLY want the POWER and the BEAUTY of the PowerBook, plus all of it's extras, of course. I'm just concerned about the size of the screen.

Should I be worried?

How do you like it (if you have a 12" PB)

Thanks in advance....

lilstewart92

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

the 12" pb is suppose to be small hence they make the 15" and 17". it comes down to personal prefences and what kind of application you will be running. portability comes into the equation as well as your vision. if beauty of the device factors in for you that is really more subjective and you should decide which is more beautiful.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i love my 12" powerbook, it is my portable beauty ^^

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have a 12" iBook and I wouldn't trade it in for anything... well, that's not entirely true, I would probably trade it in for a 12" PowerBook or a newer 12" iBook if I could afford it, but NOT a 14" iBook... The 12" is the perfect size with a 1024x768 pixels. The 14" has the same resolution, and everything just gets too big, IMO...

I love my little ultra-potable 12"... ;)

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Hey lilstewart,
    I was in the same place you were no less than two nights ago. I'd have a Ti550 for a while and had really gotten used to the 15" screen. I did have jack of it though when it came to carrying it about.

So I decided to go for a 12" powerbook for my new machine but I was really worrying about the new screen. But having had it for two nights now I love it so much. The smaller screen really isn't a hassle for me at all so far. I've worked with word, keynote, illustrator, photoshop etc all with no problems. I've found myself using expose 10x more than I did before which seems to be the key. Even watching a DVD is fantatstic. Smaller but fantastic. And the battery life is to die for after my Ti.

The weight difference is also a godsend. It's so much easier just to chuck it in a small satchel and head out for the day. I also find it a lot more manageable and less pretentious to whip it out on the train or in a cafe.

Unless you are used to a 20"+ monitor as a workspace I'm sure you won't even be worried. But you can always plug it into an external when you get home.

I'll guarantee you'll enjoy it - it's definitely a thing of beauty :D

Need to update my sig :).

6. mjstew33 thread starter macrumors 601

mjstew33

Thanks.
    I'm always hearing good things about the 12" PowerBook.

I can't wait to get mine!

(ugh... probably around August/September---i've only got ... what? $650.. shiat)-----Long ways to go------ sick of this god damn windows machine(s)

7. kant macrumors 6502

I have a 12" ibook. they're great. if you've got the room at home, you might want to pick up a used 17" crt and go dual monitor there.

8. dcv macrumors G3

Definitely go for the 12" Powerbook! The screen is great and I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the 14 inch iBook runs the same resolution anyway, only the pizel size is bigger.

The 12" powerbook is a beauty, it's ultra portable plus you'll get all the other extras over the ibook such as slightly better graphics card, faster hard disk etc...

9. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I've don't have one but my first reaction when I saw a 12" was exactly the same but when using a friend's for a few hours, within about 60 seconds, you adjust to the screen and I fell in love with the 12". I'll be going for a 12" very soon.

10. guylafleur macrumors newbie

get the 12" powerbook!!!! Now!!!!!

Sorry for the extra exclamation points, but...

I just got my 12 inch PB today, and whoah baby! What a screen!

First let me get something off my chest, though: I covered it with a radiation cutting thing, that makes it look all glossy now. Some people may think that is blasphemous, but it improves the look of the screen by about 50% I`d say. It looks like one of those super high quality screens on the Compaqs. It looks gorjezus! I just checked out the photos of the highlites from the NBA finals, and they were crystal clear, and looked 3D.

The fonts and the size are no problem because it`s a laptop, and naturally sits closer to your face than a desktop 15 inch.

Anyway, it looks about 10 times better than the 15" CRT screen my Dell computer listed below. I have to change that, speaking of which.

Holy Moses! Glad I got the PB! :D

11. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Can I ask just what you coated it with?

12. TheSisko macrumors regular

Honestly, I don't think a 13 year old kid should be care about these thing. Buy a bike or something useful instead.

EDIT: Unless your parents are really, really rich.

13. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

potable |?p?t?b?l|
    adjective formal
    safe to drink; drinkable : there is no supply of potable water available.

14. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Who are we to say?

When I was 13 (I'm 16 now), I would've rathered a Powerbook over a bike.

But of course, I still buy spinning tops from Japan. My opinion is worthless. :)

15. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Nah, I did interesting stuff when I was 13.

I had a computer then (1997) but I'm glad that I didn't sit in front of it or worry about all that stuff when I was young. Now it's my job to stay on top of the curve and do the technology thing. I have the whole rest of my life to do that. Glad I didn't waste it on this when I was younger.

Not like he'll ever believe now that he will regret it...

16. TheSisko macrumors regular

Sure, probably me too. But if I had a 13 year old kid, I would buy him a bike no matter how much he wanted a PowerBook or 50" plasma TV instead :)
    Really, a kid showing up at school with a freakin' PB is lucky not to get beat up.

17. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Not worthless, just coming from the same perspective as the other young man in high school. nothing wrong with that.

I'm coming from the perspective of a graduating senior in college looking ahead at the rest of my life realizing that everything I have spent the last 15 years working towards has come to apogee and it feels like it's downhill from here.

A 9-5 job for the rest of my life? Bleh.

18. TheSisko macrumors regular

Right on man, had an Amiga back then (1996) and it probably did me more harm than good.

19. TheSisko macrumors regular

9-5? You only work 7 hours a day?!

20. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

yup, graphic design.

didn't say it was hard...

21. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

oh, and on mondays we have creative lunches that take upwards of 3 hours. sure helps take the bite out of mondays.

I mean, it's fun and all, but I can't do this for a long time or I will just shrivel up and die here.

22. TheSisko macrumors regular

Well, I'm on a flexible schedule myself, usually its 9:30-17:30...though I'm supposed to be here 8 hours/day (but no-one checks ;)) And today I'll sneek away earlier to pick up Tiger :)

23. TheSisko macrumors regular

Well, I'm waiting for a the piece of hardware needed for my current project to arrive. Until then, I'm just pretending to work whilst secretely browsing Macrumours all day ;)

24. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

Doubt it ... unless he's getting beaten up by thieves. PB's are damn cool looking things, and laptops are enviable in school for sure.

25. TheSisko macrumors regular

Damn cool in the same vein as a Rolex watch maybe. Hell as sure wouldn't buy one of those for a kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.