Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
TheSisko said:
Well, I'm waiting for a the piece of hardware needed for my current project to arrive. Until then, I'm just pretending to work whilst secretely browsing Macrumours all day ;)
Yeah, I told my art director that until she got me copy for one of the sites I am working on, I can do nothing so I was just going to goof off. She said go for it so here I am :)

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
TheSisko said:
Damn cool in the same vein as a Rolex watch maybe. Hell as sure wouldn't buy one of those for a kid.

Aww, a Rolex isn't nearly as functional.

The only thing I'd be worried about is damage or stolen. But hey, where not the kid's parents, and if he's saving the money himself, that's great.

TheSisko

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2005
Switzerland
Tamer Brad said:
Aww, a Rolex isn't nearly as functional.

The only thing I'd be worried about is damage or stolen. But hey, where not the kid's parents, and if he's saving the money himself, that's great.

Then maybe he should let his parents read this thread, and then decide what he should do :D

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I have a 12 inch PowerBook and love the thing to death. I also have bike. Which do I prefer do you ask?
I paid for both, the bike at age 15/16 (paid around $1800 USD, worth roughly $4k+ :D, I love working in the industry where your love is), I just bought the PowerBook a few months ago, at the age of 20. Now 21 (recent birthday) I can say that both are important, but at 13 I would lean towards the bike, or whatever else your outdoor physical self wants to explore. You'll have years of life to geek-out on whatever industry you go in to, no need to start so young.

That said, if you are anything like me you will do whatever you want regardless of other's opinions, you ask solely for the information but it is more a formality as you don't really take it in :p (at least that is how I do it :D)

That said, I realize you like the PowerBook but for your age and the years you will use it and the locations, a 12 inch iBook would be more durable I think. I too prefer the look of the PB, but really the current iBooks can do everything the PBs can, they are great machines!

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
efoto said:
That said, I realize you like the PowerBook but for your age and the years you will use it and the locations, a 12 inch iBook would be more durable I think. I too prefer the look of the PB, but really the current iBooks can do everything the PBs can, they are great machines!
I agree.

I got the PB because I really do need the screen spanning and the faster hard drive and the superdrive in a portable package. If you really don't need these things, don't get them. if you do you probably will find you won't use them as much as you thought you would and you can save $500 by buying a machine that's almost as good and more durable to boot.

makes sense to me.

to tie back to the thread topic; the screen is just as nice as the 12" PB.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I work with text, audio and video. I like my 12" Pb. For any real editing I prefer a 20" screen like I have at work, but that's a dream. I wouldn't travel with anything larger than a 12" Pb. While the screen is small, it does work on the budget travel seats, while anything larger just doesn’t fit. It also has great battery life, and the savings in weight is noticed as I get older.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
tuartboy said:
potable |?p?t?b?l|
adjective formal
safe to drink; drinkable : there is no supply of potable water available.
He-he... another one snuck by the spell checking... :eek:

It should have been:
portable |?p??t?b(?)l|

adjective

able to be easily carried or moved, esp. because of being a lighter and smaller version than usual : a portable television.

• Computing (of software) able to be transferred from one machine or system to another.
Which shouldn't be too hard to get from the context... ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
guylafleur said:
First let me get something off my chest, though: I covered it with a radiation cutting thing, that makes it look all glossy now. Some people may think that is blasphemous, but it improves the look of the screen by about 50% I`d say. It looks like one of those super high quality screens on the Compaqs. It looks gorjezus! I just checked out the photos of the highlites from the NBA finals, and they were crystal clear, and looked 3D.

I'm curious too, can anyone link to this? Is it durable? If it included a polarized layer to eliminate glare, or anti-reflection coating, I could see it being really nice.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
Let me clear up some things---

Okay, must of you are saying: he should be buying a bike and enjoying himself outdoors. I already bought a bike. Also, I'm spending TONS of time outside, I have a lawn service and make my money there. The only time I'm really on the computer is mainly at night, if I'm bored (summer vacation), and in the morning.

I AM BUYING THE POWERBOOK WITH MY OWN MONEY.
My parents are doctors, but my Dad doesn't want to get it for me, he thinks if I want something, then I should get it myself. ---So that's my choice. And I would feel better if I bought it myself, with no one's help, like my accomplishment.

You guys are saying "kid", technically I am a kid, but I'm going into 8th grade, having to deal with a lot of shi* from other kids(because I have a hearing disability). I am a young man, going on 14, and very mature for his age.
I just wanted to say that, because I'm more than a "kid".

Thought I would clear that up.

3lions

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
Iowa
I just got my 12" powerbook this week, I love it :D I haven't noticed the screen size being to small. Expose really helps with that. I am planning on buying a higher res 17" monitor, mainly for watching dvds etc.

Just for basic use the 12" screen is big enough.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
lilstewart92 said:
Okay, must of you are saying: he should be buying a bike and enjoying himself outdoors. I already bought a bike. Also, I'm spending TONS of time outside, I have a lawn service and make my money there. The only time I'm really on the computer is mainly at night, if I'm bored (summer vacation), and in the morning.

My parents are doctors, but my Dad doesn't want to get it for me, he thinks if I want something, then I should get it myself. ---So that's my choice. And I would feel better if I bought it myself, with no one's help, like my accomplishment.

You guys are saying "kid", technically I am a kid, but I'm going into 8th grade, having to deal with a lot of shi* from other kids(because I have a hearing disability). I am a young man, going on 14, and very mature for his age.

Yeah!! You tell them!! :D Who cares about age??

And you're buying this with your own money! Well done. And I'm not being patronising, that's a damn impressive achievement. My first new Mac was when I was 20 and I still needed to take out a loan. My next purchase will be all me though. Finally.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
cooknwitha said:
Yeah!! You tell them!! :D Who cares about age??

And you're buying this with your own money! Well done. And I'm not being patronising, that's a damn impressive achievement. My first new Mac was when I was 20 and I still needed to take out a loan. My next purchase will be all me though. Finally.
I merely said that I had better things to do when I was his age then sitting in front of a computer all day like I do now. I'm glad I didn't then becuase I can't get back that time and I'm glad I spent it on better things than this.

Besides, it doesn't sound like he's a normal kid (read: watches 4 hours of tv a day and plays video games for another 4) so it's not as big of a deal. Kids need to get out more than they do these days. I was merely reinforcing that.

I think there was something on /. this past week about this same thing.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
tuartboy said:
I merely said that I had better things to do when I was his age then sitting in front of a computer all day like I do now. I'm glad I didn't then becuase I can't get back that time and I'm glad I spent it on better things than this.

Don't worry, I wasn't aiming it at you :)

When I was 13 I was playing my Sega Mega Drive (Genisis in some places) way too much. Selling that was the smartest thing I ever did. Anyhing that boosts the creative brain is far more important than computer games!

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 29, 2005
tuartboy said:
Besides, it doesn't sound like he's a normal kid (read: watches 4 hours of tv a day and plays video games for another 4) so it's not as big of a deal. Kids need to get out more than they do these days. I was merely reinforcing that.

lol, I don't watch TV, and I don't play video-games, that's for my brothers, I'm outside constantly mowing grass, trimming, etc. ;)

And when I'm not doing that I'm outside with friends playing basketball, riding bikes, etc. ;)

I am a normal kid! lol :rolleyes:

And getting a PowerBook at age 14 doesn't mean suddenly I'm wasting my teenage years for computers.
I want to use the PowerBook for school(my school doesn't allow to bring our laptops to school), I'm into photography and video editing, and the PowerBook just seems to be the best purchase for me.

Just thought I'd clear that up too! :rolleyes:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Heh... when I was 13 I was "busy" scheming ways that the high school guys who asked me to prom could sneak me in. :p My money saved up went toward clothes, shoes, clothes, shoes, clothes... Funny, almosts 8 years later I can still wear some of the same clothes.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
devilot76 said:
Heh... when I was 13 I was "busy" scheming ways that the high school guys who asked me to prom could sneak me in. :p My money saved up went toward clothes, shoes, clothes, shoes, clothes... Funny, almosts 8 years later I can still wear some of the same clothes.
here's hoping that you're a girl. ;)

Edit: Femalenicity confirmed. Girl #3 on MR!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
lilstewart92 said:

Don't take offense to the term "kid". You'll find that of all things that pass in your life, your childhood is one that goes most quickly and is probably the most cherished once you get older. I am 21 now and love to be called a ''kid'' by older people who view me as one. I try to live life as a child because children have a lot of things right that the 'big bad' adults don't. I have spent three years in the normal world working with a major corporation and what I have found is that the bulk of people are transformed out of college when they receive their jobs. It's good you have some other priorities than just TV and video games, although in moderation both are still fine by me :)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
tuartboy said:
devilot76 said:
Heh... when I was 13 I was "busy" scheming ways that the high school guys who asked me to prom could sneak me in. My money saved up went toward clothes, shoes, clothes, shoes, clothes... Funny, almosts 8 years later I can still wear some of the same clothes.
here's hoping that you're a girl. ;)

Edit: Femalenicity confirmed. Girl #3 on MR!

Haha, femalenicity, great word even if it isn't real.

You went to prom at 13! :eek: That is pretty young, especially considering all the prom related stories that all the HS boys fantasize about.

Based on the ''8 years later" comment and the 13 year old age remark, I'll make the gross assumption you are now roughly 21. Excellent....excellent :p ;) I know quite a few girls from Freshman year of HS who are still quite proud of the fact that they can fit into their HS clothes, apparently this is an accomplishment for women :rolleyes:

smiley99

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
canada (on hiatus)
Go with 12" for certain

Hey lilstuart,

I once had the clamshell ibook (12" display with 800x600 resolution) and you'd be trading up to get the 12" PB/iB as you'll get better resolution (1024x768) than what you have now for the same size display. I now have the 12" iBook 800 which is great by me. The major advantage to the PB is just a little (honestly not much) processor speed, better graphics card, and faster rotation speed of the HD (again not that much faster). The screen spanning can be done on iB (hack that works) and PB. Only truly unique item for PB is the Superdrive which it sounds like you might need. But, iB is more durable than PB. Up to you my friend.

Best of luck!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
efoto said:
You went to prom at 13! :eek: That is pretty young, especially considering all the prom related stories that all the HS boys fantasize about.

I know quite a few girls from Freshman year of HS who are still quite proud of the fact that they can fit into their HS clothes, apparently this is an accomplishment for women :rolleyes:
Hey! It is an accomplishment! It means we haven't "let ourselves go" or we haven't ballooned. Hee. By the way, 13 yrs was still junior high for me, not high school. I used to be quite the catch... ;)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I had a Rev C 12in PB for just under a year. I loved it. However, when I got into doing my serious design work, I found myself about 6 inches from the screen. The 1024x768 resolution is just not enough for doing a lot of serious work. There just isn't enough real estate for all the palates and such. The quality of the display itself is great, though, it need special calibration to be anywhere near color-accurate.

On the positive side, I was never disappointed with that computer (as a whole). Mine had a bum HD when I got it, so it took awhile to sort that out with AppleCare. The PowerBooks have the best keyboard that I have ever used. The 12in is truly ultra-portable, feature-filled, and a serious workhorse. It's a great machine. But of course, the more money you spend, the better computer you get.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
devilot76 said:
Hey! It is an accomplishment! It means we haven't "let ourselves go" or we haven't ballooned. Hee. By the way, 13 yrs was still junior high for me, not high school. I used to be quite the catch... ;)

Well if you can fit into your clothes from way back then, what is stopping you from being ''quite the catch'' today? ;)

I understand 13 was juniorH, that is why my reaction was crazed, I can't think of seeing anyone younger than HS at a prom....although all together they are quite the silly things IMO. Thankfully I didn't go to a huge HS so there was no more drama than is usually expected for a HS dance :rolleyes:

Back OT, michaelrjohnson has good points. It still comes down to what you want to do with it, just like it did last time someone suggested a given option to you :). I love my 12, wouldn't trade it for a 15 or 17 even if you paid me (depending on how much of course :D), but I love it for the portability, having a small screen is a given if you want true mobility.

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
the 12" is fabulous... Now whenever I started to use my brother's PC with 17" screen, it just seems bloated. Everything is unnecessary huge there... The 12" is cute and adorable [aka portable] so it's easy to bring it anywhere... I'm one of the luckier one, I got my father to buy it for me [I think there is a rule that says "diplomatic kids can't go to work"] if I promise him I'll get over 85 on every single of my exams [ended up with 92, 100, 95s] and take care of my brother, not letting my brother plays too much video game [kids play games too much these days] they seriously need to get out more... Whatever happened to sports... When I was 13 [3 years ago] I didn't sit infront of the computer all day [ok, i was in boarding/theatre school in England, they didn't let us come near the comp except for Friday] those were the days...

***On a side note, anybody know what programs I'll need to learn before entering graphic design in university?? [going to take graphic/fashion design, double majors...] My father refused to let me come anywhere near Music or Theatre

****Are girls really that rare here? 3? :eek: then add me in as 4...

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
lem0n said:
the 12" is fabulous... Now whenever I started to use my brother's PC with 17" screen, it just seems bloated. Everything is unnecessary huge there... The 12" is cute and adorable [aka portable] so it's easy to bring it anywhere... I'm one of the luckier one, I got my father to buy it for me [I think there is a rule that says "diplomatic kids can't go to work"] if I promise him I'll get over 85 on every single of my exams [ended up with 92, 100, 95s] and take care of my brother, not letting my brother plays too much video game [kids play games too much these days] they seriously need to get out more... Whatever happened to sports... When I was 13 [3 years ago] I didn't sit infront of the computer all day [ok, i was in boarding/theatre school in England, they didn't let us come near the comp except for Friday] those were the days...

***On a side note, anybody know what programs I'll need to learn before entering graphic design in university?? [going to take graphic/fashion design, double majors...] My father refused to let me come anywhere near Music or Theatre

****Are girls really that rare here? 3? :eek: then add me in as 4...

LOL, that is just great. That has to be the first time I have seen the words "cute", "adorable", and "12" PowerBook" in the same sentence, wonderfully wrapped in a way that only a woman can, thank you :)

I was unaware that women were that sparse here, but if there are 3 then I already assumed you were 4. There aren't too many guys who commonly use cute when referring to computer hardware :rolleyes: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.