Powerbook 12" v. iBook 12"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dougnet99, May 25, 2003.

1. Dougnet99 macrumors newbie

I've been considering one of the two for school. Do you think Apple will update the Powerbooks/iBooks shortly? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. maraczc macrumors member

3. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

right,
    well, at least the pb 15 will be upgrade soon, if we follow recent rumors.
    for the pb 12 and pb 17 it would take till november for the next update.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

If you are not in school yet, wait until you are a student. Ed. discount (directly from Apple or via campus computer store) can be substantial.

It's good to be informed about update cycles and such, but don't get caught up in it... If the time comes that you *need* a computer, you should get one and not wait and put your hopes on the upcoming "dream" computer... You'll never have the top of line computer for more than a year anyway, so at some point, you need to break the cycle, get a computer and enjoy it.

5. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

How much better is the Powerbook's G4 processor than the iBook's G3? There is quite a difference between the 12" models in price.

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

many people will say the G4 will be faster in OS X, but if you buy a 900mhz ibook with all the ram (not from apple) then it should be fine in OS X compared to the 12'' pb.

7. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

That was fast!

Just curious as to why you say 'not from Apple'.

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

because Apple will overhcarge you for ram, just buy from, augh, whats the name, crucial is very good ram that is also usually on par with regular third party dealers. they also give you free shipping usually. Don't buy the cheapest ram possible, I recommend Crucial, at http://www.crucial.com

-tazo

9. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Ahh.. personally can't be bothered. I like my one-stop-shopping :)

But I will look into the iBook - I had previously dismissed it as a lo-budget toy, but it may yet be a possibility. 1st choice is still 12" Powerbook!

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

crucial will charge you 100-160 for the ram, apple will prolly charge upwards of twice that much. lemme go check.

11. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Does Crucial ship internationally? If so, what do they charge?

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

yeah ok I just checked, and Apple wants 200 dollars for a 512 mb stick (to max out the ram).

and crucial wants 137.99 for it, with free shipping, and the guarantee of the crucial name. I buy crucial for all my comps and have had no probs. :)

tazo

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

http://www.crucial.com/store/shipping.asp
    there is all the info you will need :) unforunately no free shipping outside US

14. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Just checked.. They actually have a very good international ordering system - the only one I've seen better is Amazon.com

It's $15.00 International Priority - so I'm only saving about $40. (minus any duties imposed, could be up to $50 or so)

I'll keep it in mind, but I'll probably end up just doing it all thru Apple :) Thanks

15. Dougnet99 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already get the Educational discount (I saved around $300 on my PBG4 15").

But in terms of Highschool, what do you suggest?

I don't think I'd use my PB 15" 500mhz as its slow, large, heavy.

And since I dont have a PM desktop, and probably won't get one, a laptop would probably be my primary computer.

Btw, does the small screen size bother you? Is it okay for web browsing, games, photoshop, etc?

Thanks!

16. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Wonder if I can get an educational discount.. I teach at a private school.

17. j763 macrumors 6502a

Don't buy RAM direct from Apple. You can get the stuff for up to 50% cheaper if you go to Apple's suppliers directly. I'm only aware of Apple's RAM Supply Situation in Australia (where I worked at an Apple Store), where you can buy RAM from supplier and distributor MemSol.

But yeah.... you can get exactly the same stuff Apple uses for far cheaper. Just like anything, shop around a bit. Apple's stuff is good, just marked up by 100% :)

18. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I know you are saying this because the iBook just got speed bumped, but I think there will be another update soon. The iBook is STILL the only computer in the lineup without AirPort Extreme. I think that there is a new design coming for the iBook-something slightly different in the case, and a Gobi processor or something. I'm expecting it in June. Of course, I know no real hard facts at all. That, and I want my 6-month-old iBook 800 to still be kinda new. :)

Regards,
    Gus

19. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Right, but I live in Japan. Most places that deal in computers won't ship outside of the US. Even if they do, I have to pay for shipping that takes awhile, and stands a better chance of getting lost or damaged. On top of that, I have to pay for duties imposed by customs.

I'll give you an example - I bought a pair of shoes online from Jcrew, an American company. The original price was 79.99 USD. International shipping was $35.00. The kicker was when the delivery guy asked me for 5000yen (about $55) for the duties. So I paid more for shipping than I did for the actual product.

If I want to return it, I have to pay for shipping back to the states.

Not exactly a better value.

20. Dougnet99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Please - I'm not interested in buying RAM from places other than Apple. So, if we could keep the discussion on whether the PB 12 or Ibook is better for a highschool student, that'd be great.

21. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the screen's not going to be ideal for gaming of photoshop... however, it has the same level of resolution as the 15" powerbook (i believe), so that helps a good deal in photoshop and apps of that sort.

but, when you buy a machine with a 12" screen, you can't expect the greatest gaming/graphics experience.

23. Dougnet99 thread starter macrumors newbie

but is it okay to work with?

Am i going to be wishing i had a bigger screen? or is it good enough for most uses?

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'd suggest going to an apple store or reseller and checking one out for yourself.

everyone has different standards.

but, i wouldn't say it's impossible to use...

but on the other hand, doesn't everyone wish they had a bigger screen (other than mobility)?

25. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

for websurfing, word processing, email, chatting, etc, basic computing tasks, 12'' will be fine, and trust me you will appreciate the mobility when you are away from your desk. when you need to get some serious work done, or need to use a largely screen-dependent program, such as photoshop, plug in a CRT or LCD. Best of both worlds :)