PowerBook 1400 help! Please!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, May 22, 2003.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

My brother got a PowerBook 1400 CS off eBay. I turned out to have No HardDrive, No CD-ROM, and No Floppy. I use my iBook ClamShell power adapter to power it up. It makes the startup noise but then nothing happens. I took a Hard Drive from an old 190, it was the only laptop IDE drive I had access to. Well I poped that in and it started up but the screen wasn't working, it didn't even light up. I know the sleep light (on the screen) works, I have seen that on before, but the screen appears not to work. Maybe it is the hard drive, it might have system 7.5.3 or earlier on it which was in compatible with the 1400 series. Would that force the screen not to work? Also I have noticed that the silver cord from the board to the screen is wedged between the metal on the PowerBook. Would that have shorted out the screen? The screen looks fine to me. Well is there any way to open the screen part of the PowerBook and see if any wires are lose? I can't figure out how. I have opened the PowerBook, thats how I put in the hard drive to test it. Now either its the HardDrive or the screen. If I buy a new Hard Drive I could put a system on it some how I guess. Too bad there is no Video Out port, although I have a Video Out PCMCIA card but that needs software and I can't even navigate the computer bnecause I can't see anything/ Maybe I could put an old iMac 24x CD-ROM drive in there so I could boot up from a CD. I have tried booting up fronm external Hard Drives and CD Drives, but that was before I put the hard drive in I'll try it agian. Any help would be great!! Please any information would help a lot....Thanks a lot! _I just don't know what to do.... :(

2. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

*Reason #2399 not to buy electronics from eBay

My opinion is to have an Apple technition to look at it. Seems to me that it's busted, but a pro may have a better opinion.

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

maybe it just didnt work in the begining...have you tried resetin the power management

4. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Ok The screen wires and everythign appear to be perfectly fine. I think the hard drive that I put in (the hard drive from the 190c) dosent have the right prefrences for the LCD or that it was set for an external monitor and isn't set for the internal display. I will buy the $3 Laptop IDE to Desktop IDE converstion kit from www.ComputerGeeks.com I'll erase the drive and fresh install Mac OS 8, then maybe it will work. Hey it's only $3 so if it doesn't work it's ok. :D Thanks for you help! :)