PowerBook 1400cs and Sad Mac

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by im_to_hyper, Apr 15, 2006.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hey there --- I recently sold the model Mac mentioned above to a fellow member of this site. I installed OS 9.0, updated to 9.1 and it seemed good to go. I sent it off to him (albeit a bit late) hoping that it would find a good home.

Now, when he boots, he gets the following error code with a sad/frowning Mac:

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 F
    0 0 0 0 0 0 6 9

Anyone know what that means?

EDIT: Found a link at MacNN.com that has the following response to a similar question:

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hmm, I examinated and tested my keyboard, everything seems to be fine with it. I can't see or feel any stuck keys.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Next thing to do (esp. since the machine has recently been shipped by United Parcel Destruction Service) is to open it up and remove and reseat all connections -- RAM, hard drive, etc. to make sure your connections are all good.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have no expanded RAM, so it cannot be that. I went and removed and reseated the HD. Same error still. I went and removed the HD and booted to see what it says. I got a ? over a floppy disk. So right now it seems to be the HD that's causing the problems.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Have you got an OS7 boot floppy or CD to fire it up with?

www.everymac.com says this is one of the first machines with ATA hard drive internally.
    (I can't remember, myself, when Apple shifted from SCSI to ATA in the Powerbooks)
    If it is ATA, then there are always 2 - 6 Gb 2.5" ATA drives for sale on eBay.

6. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hey, if you want I can send you a 2GB ATA for $5 if it is the hard drive boot issue. I fixed an 80GB hard drive just by smacking it on the side out of the case. :D

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You have to hav a RAM module of some sort for it to boot OS 9.

Have you tried putting the HD back in? Does it do the same thing?

Perhaps try booting from a CD and see if you can *see* the hard drive.

8. racepres macrumors member

When mine did that it was the hard drive. But, not the drive itself... something in the connection. Never did get her to go, except to boot from cd or floppy, as already stated. BTW I still use that 1400 sometimes, cause I put os8.0 on a pcmcia, drive... which works just fine. [it's a small drive] MV

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I just swapped the hard drive with another 1 GB drive, and all works perfectly now! Thanks!