PowerBook 15" 128 VRAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Punani, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

I realize this question has been asked several times (and I have checked them), but I would really like some more feedback...

I'm looking at the 15" PowerBook 1.67 GHz. With the release of Tiger and the increasing dependency on the GPU to carry out much of the graphics processing, what will 64 VRAM vs. 128 VRAM accomplish?

I am interested in using the PowerBook for a great deal of programming, but I'm not particularly interested in PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc. What I basically want is a computer that will survive 2 or 3 years without really being bogged down by being a little bit older.

Thanks for all your advice! :)

2. SLCentral macrumors regular

If you have $100 lying around, upgrade. But for those needs, 128MB will not give you any performance increase, Tiger or no Tiger. Don't listen to what other people on this board say. The fact is that Tiger does not need 128MB for Core Image. Unless you're doing Apple Pro App (Motion, FCP) work, are going to game, or will be using an external display, no need.

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I bought my PowerBook with the 128 option, but strictly for longevity purposes; I intend to have this as my only computer for quite some time,so the more bells and whistles, the better. SLCentral is right, though. 64 MB should be perfectly sufficient.