Powerbook 15.2 and airport.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by TaiyoT2, Apr 8, 2003.

1. TaiyoT2 macrumors newbie

i have a powerbook g4 and also a airport card inside. The thing is that I have heard that the airport card inside the powerbook gets bad reception. Is this true?
    If it is, what do you think is a good idea to make my airport have better reception?

2. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

3. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

use your PB first and decide if the range is workable for you. the range is less than that of the old G3 powerbooks, or the new iBooks...

4. TaiyoT2 thread starter macrumors newbie

To.chibianh
    how much can i realy on these antenna's?
    Which one can reach futher?
    is one better for ti book?

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Do you have any experiance with either antenna? I am curious myself, but what is advertised is seldom like realworld experience.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have the 15.2" (DVI) PowerBook with the Airport card inside as well. I also picked up the new dual ethernet base station when I purchased the PowerBook last year.

The only time I have reception problems is when I use my portable phone (also on the 2.4GHz band). Even then, the reception problem DOESN'T always happen. It seems that either the phone or base switches channels to get one without interferrance.

Something that CAN cause reception problems is the composition of the walls where you are, as well as additional electronics that produce "noise" in the same GHz range. I've heard that some microwaves produce that, which is another reason I am glad that I don't have one. Some older houses walls can block the signal, or reduce the signal strength. Also, when you set up the base, you can set the station density and mulitcast rates. I have base set to the maximum on both of these items. That way, I get the maximum data transfer rate. Even though your internet connection WILL be slower then the base stations maximum rate, use it. That is, unless you need a longer roam range, in which case, reduce the rate until you get the range you desire/need.

I set up a couple who have a cable modem in their first floor living room, and the computers in a second floor office. Because of the wall construction, and number of walls between these two areas I had to reduce the rate to the 2 multicast rate. This allowed them to use their PowerBooks wherever they wanted, and still be online. With the rate at 11, the PowerBook further away wasn't able to connect (about 10' further then the first PowerBook). 5 might have worked, but 2 DID work, flawlessly.

Personally, I have yet to experience any reception problems from anywhere inside my apartment with either a PowerBook or pc laptop (all connecting to my Airport base station).

Your own experiences will vary. NEVER assume problems that some people have are indications of flaws in hardware (or software). There are simply too many variables to make the same for everyone. That goes for both good and bad experiences. I'd get a base station (Apple) and go from there.

7. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I agree with Alpha. Most people hear about a problem and get all worked up about it. It's only a problem if you are experiancing it. Not if someone else is. This example is odd but i;m going to use it anyway.
    i play lacrosse and when i bought a new head this year after my ole reliable, Stx Proton was stolen. I read all the reviews available on a new head, Stx Hype, one particular review absolutely ripped the head because the review broke his head in a freak accident. I bought the head anyway, it's turned out to be the best investment i've ever made in my game. I've had no problems with the head other then the standard fine tuning involved with any new head.

I know this isn't a typical example but sometimes variety is the spice of life.

8. agente macrumors newbie

I had also heard of major reception problems with the powerbooks. Until I got mine. (15" 1Ghz) I'm using a Netgear router and have been nothing but impressed with the range and speed my powerbook pulls from this thing. I'm able to walk all around our studio, which is quite large and get full reception all over the building (Which has about 15 other computers with TV's, speakers, and what I thought would be mucho interference for the signal at each station) Guess not.