Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hey all. I no longer own one of these, but I did have a question. Out three 15" powerbooks I have been in contact with over the last year or so, two of them had the left side of the screen darker than the right. Is this normal or something that was a defect. It was about 2 notches darker and was definitely something you could see. Just curious if others have had this problem as well.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Chrispy said:
Hey all. I no longer own one of these, but I did have a question. Out three 15" powerbooks I have been in contact with over the last year or so, two of them had the left side of the screen darker than the right. Is this normal or something that was a defect. It was about 2 notches darker and was definitely something you could see. Just curious if others have had this problem as well.

I haven't seen that particular problem. I own one myself, and I've had two TiBooks from clients for several weeks and both of those were fine (though the AlBook might have a different panel, making the comparison invalid). Of course it's a defect, but I haven't heard anything indicating that it's a common defect.

It might be possible (however unlikely) that the two PowerBooks you saw were the same unit, since Indianapolis' Apple store doesn't seem to do a particularly large number of sales. (I lived there a few years back for a little while before moving back to California). There was always a distinct lack of Apple suppoort.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
matticus008 said:
I haven't seen that particular problem. I own one myself, and I've had two TiBooks from clients for several weeks and both of those were fine (though the AlBook might have a different panel, making the comparison invalid). Of course it's a defect, but I haven't heard anything indicating that it's a common defect.

I'm glad you have had too luck with yours :) I just thought I would put the question out there and see what other people noticed.

matticus008 said:
Indianapolis' Apple store doesn't seem to do a particularly large number of sales. (I lived there a few years back for a little while before moving back to California).

I can imagine you are happy to be out of the Indy area haha. Not much goes on here and the weather sucks :p

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Chrispy said:
I can imagine you are happy to be out of the Indy area haha. Not much goes on here and the weather sucks :p
You can say that again! I grew up in the Bay Area, and have always been resentful of the circumstances that forced me out that way (my temporary exile, as I generally call it). I've been back out here for a few years now, and now I'm moving to another oceanfront metropolis.

The adventure continues...

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
This thread has sure gotten off topic but that's ok haha. I have always lived in the midwest my entire life (Central Illinois and then Central Indiana) so I can only imagine what it would be like to live near the ocean... maybe someday... *sigh*

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I came upon this earlier today in thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 122

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I've noticed this problem on my rev. B 12" PB. It's gotten worse with age, which leads me to believe the backlight itself is the problem. I've wanted to replace it (they're cheap), but it seems like a pain to open up the PB. I guess when it dies completely I'll replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.