Powerbook 15" dull screen.....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by phildexter, Feb 4, 2005.

1. phildexter macrumors member

I've had my powerbook 1GZ 15" for the past 5 months with only one slight problem. After one month of owning it, I noticed that the screen in the lower right hand corner, about 40% of the screen was quite dull compared to the rest. It does get better after about an hour, but it's still ever so slightly noticable.

I was going to have it sent back to Apple, but after hearing that others had sent their machines sent back for various reason, only to find more problems once back to them, I was a little put off.

Does anyone know if this is quite a simple thing to fix? and weather it's worth sending back to Apple? Thanks

Phil

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

First off, being anal... weather=whether......

Second, to answer your question: The only thing you can really do to fix the problem is to send it in to Apple, and I don't know what other problems could arise from that. Even if something did happen, Apple stands by their work 30-90 days (I can't remember which), so you're covered if anything else bad happens.

Just call AppleCare while it's covered! That's what it's there for!
    Lee Tom

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The old 'uneven illumination'

I guess the answer is 'does it annoy you enough to send your PB off to get fixed?' and how bad is it? Do you constantly notice it - or is only when you do an infrequent task?

Either way, I'd leave it a little while since I read something yesterday saying that Apple's European portables repairer has gone under. I'd wait til they get the new system sorted before entrusting my laptop to them.

4. LogicBored macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, similarly on a 15" PB a few months old. It got sent back to Apple (in UK) and returned working but after 2 weeks the issue returned. Once again I returned it and the problem came back again.
    The third time Apple accepted it for a full refund (it was bought as a refurb from the Apple store).

5. evilernie macrumors 6502

evilernie

hmmm

As a possible buyer of a 15" powerbook I have to ask, is this a common problem?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I thought they'd resolved it by rev b but obviously not! Who knows how common it is - only those affected tend to post to find out how to fix it. We have no idea how many others had no trouble.

If it's any reassurance, my 15" rev A is fine.

7. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Not at all. I've only ever heard of maybe two cases here, and trust me, there are loads of people with pbooks who frequent these forums.

I myself have a 1.25 15inch and, besides the infamous "white spots" broohaha early on, I've had no trouble with the display.

8. Bear macrumors G3

I've not had this problem either.

Remember people people who whine or complain make a lot of noise, and this being the interenet, people will echo the naysayers even if what they're saying is not true.

9. radio893fm macrumors regular

Oh yes it is common... probably 2 people here but like hundreds in other forums... the new PB might be fixed though...

10. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I've personally never seen a revb 15" powerbook with display issues.

11. phildexter thread starter macrumors member

Well mine was bought brand new, I'll probably just get it sent back within the next week, tired of seeing it every time I boot up, and for what you pay for any apple product, you shouldn't have any problems, especially hardware ones.

Thanks for the advice guys, and to you "Anal" Lee :)

Phil