PowerBook 15" Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Furrybeagle, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2004

I'm currently looking at the PowerBook 1.67GHz 15" w/ 128 VRAM. Just want to clear a few things up before I make the purchase.

The first thing is that will the PowerBook take an Hitachi 60GB 7200 RPM HDD? I wasn't sure if it would cause a problem with the Sudden Motion Sensor. Or is the speed difference between the 5400 and 7200 so small there's not really any difference.

The second thing is the high-density displays rumored. Is there even a chance that they ever release the high density displays as a BTO option before the next revision (which I'm guessing is going to be a different formfactor)? And if they do, would I even have the ability to upgrade the lower-resolution screen to the high-density screen on my PowerBook, should I ever want to?

And last, is the PowerBook really slow like some people make it seem when referring to the FSB? I know someone who has a G4 1GHz Titanium, and it seems pretty snappy overall, except when in 3D applications, and the reviews for the latest revision call the PB "snappy" as well.

I think that's it. I figure if I get a PowerBook G4 now, it will be a solid revision, and then after the G5's have been out for about 2 to 3 years, I can get one of those and perhaps sell the G4, as the G5's will have most likely become much better than the first revision that I was orginally planning on waiting for. There isn't anything incredibly stupid that I'm doing with that plan, is there? :p

2. mpopkin macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2003
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hey Furrybeagle,
    For the record, the only noticable difference you will notice between a 5400/7200 RPM hard drive is in how it handles processing, basically if you video edit often, go for the faster RPM, but other than that, the 5400 coupled with SMS tech will be a better choice, SMS is built into/onto the hard drive and i do not believe would function if another drive was installed, talk to apple on that though, if they released a High Def (higher def) LCD panel and it fit the same dimensions, power requirements and heat densities, than yes, you can exchange monitors but it would be incredibly expensive upwards of 500-1000 for the screen alone and then add the labor. I have a powerbook G4 15, 1.5 and have no regrets with it and love it, this is undoubtebly a solid revision with some interesting technologies, and yes I predict that in September we could be seeing a G5 Pbook, but most likely it will be prone to beginners luck. I would stick with this, but wait a month if u really crave HD displays, I love my screen, i would like better resolution of course, but you will hear no complaints from me. I dont guarantee that apple will release a new screen or nor, but i Cannot recommend buying a new screen after you bought the laptop unless you have a lot of money to shed in which case buy yourself a 12 inch pbook and a desktop g5.

3. Furrybeagle thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2004
    Sounds good then. :D I wouldn't use it for video, but right now I do some Photoshop/Illustrator work (nothing intense), the obvious web, music, photo, and have tried a bit of programming, as well as the occaisonal game. The only reason I got the 7200 in the first place was because Windows was extremely slow on the 4200 that came with the Dell, i'd do a lot of different things at once and that particular harddrive just couldn't keep up.

And in regard to displays reading your post I did a little thinking and I imagine that they should most likely be interchangable, as it probably cost too much to have to manage more interior options, i.e. different logic boards, etc. And from what I've seen you can upgrade the Superdrive to basically any slot loading disc drive. Not that those really matter, in the end i could just hook up an external display or burner. :p

Thanks again,

4. Bangpow macrumors member

Feb 9, 2005
    Dearborn, MI
    I just switched and got a 15" 1.5 Ghz PB a couple weeks ago and i think it's snappy as all heck!

This is my first Mac and i'll tell you what, i'm really thinking about buying an iMac when it comes time to replace my desktop PC.

I haven't really seen the downfall of the 5400 rpm hard drive, but i don't do video. I do run audio programs and it seems to work pretty well.
  5. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Load it up with RAM - you'll see a better speed difference with 1GB+ of RAM than going from a 5400 to 7200 HD in most apps
  6. aoasus macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2005
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    PB for video

I do a LOT of video

Mostly editing TV spots, but I do training videos, recital shows, that kind of thing. I actually am using a 15" PB 1.5 with the slowest (stock) drive.

However, I have an external FW drive for media! I highly reccomend this option as it'll allow for much more flexibility with expansion and will be cheaper in the long run.

Yes the PB line does have a old, piece of junk, slow as molasses FSB, but those are the breaks I guess. It doesn't seem to bother me much untill I go to compress a DVD and it takes forever. But on the day to day stuff, It is plenty quick.

I think you've got the pefect plan. There's just no way I'd buy a Rev A PB G5. There's bound to be issues. The only way i'd be looking to upgrade this machine is if they come out with a dual proc g4 in a PB, which has been rumored for a while, but who actually knows.