Powerbook 15" to 12" downgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nesbitt_a, Jul 12, 2004.

1. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of downgrading my 15" 1.25 superdrive powerbook to a top of the range 12" for pure portability. I'm a student - with a 30 minute cycle every day to and from lectures. I spend all day at the labs as its so far from my home, and think the 12" will be superb portability wise. I can't wait to pop it open a lunch to check my emails!

I've used and loved my 15" for nearly 6 months now. Just find it a little big for what I use a laptop for. Does anyone think I'm mad? Id love to hear from IT techies who use the 12" powerbook daily.. or students...

Cheers, Andy.

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

damn it. don't do this to me. i have a 15" Pb too, and after helping my friend choose a notebook, my old love for the 12" Pb was sparked back alive and kicking. he chose the 12" and after re-iterating to him the advantages of either model, and seeing him choose that one..i got into thinking again. NO. i love my 15". no...Must. Be. Strong.

LOL. :p

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I think your making a wise decision if you find the 15" a little big for what you do. I wouldn't want the downgraded screen size because i use my 15" mostly as a dektop but i travel sometimes so it's good from me. I think if your constantly on the move you would want a small computer. I think it is a wise choice to do that. Good luck.

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

it will be more portable yes but its not going to be a big enough difference to be worthy of switching systems. just look at the specs on the apple site. the 15 is biger but not huge. the 15 is the best of both worlds.

5. belf8st macrumors member

I downsized my revb 15" powerbook to the rev c 12" powerbook as they were released. Portability became more important than the extra screen real estate. I've been extremely pleased with the 12".

6. OziMac macrumors 6502

Dude, if portability is a major concern for you, as it seems to be, it's a very wise move. You'll even get a bump in performance. The only downsides is losing the screen space and the backlit keyboard, but trust me, that 12 incher will be perfect for you. Enjoy!

7. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

i recently got a 12" PB to be a personal computer (my work gave my a 15" PB that I've been using). I seriously like the 12" better for when I'm on the go. the screen size isn't that big of a deal for me since I'm not video editing or anything. And with expose, it's real easy to keep all the windows full size and still move between them quickly. the 12" is so small and light, you can't go wrong.

get the 12".

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

My unit will be activated in August and I'll be spending 12-18 months in Iraq starting February and I'm stuck between getting the 12" PB w/Superdrive or the 15" w/Superdrive to take with me. I'll be giving my Dual 1Ghz MDD G4 to my mom to use since she's stuck in 1999 using my old B&W G3. I can get a 12" PB w/Superdrive, the faster 80GB HD, 512mb Ram on Apple's Education store site for a little over $1800 while a 15" PB(1.5GHz) with the same specs(i.e. HD size and speed, and Ram) albeit the graphics card has been upgraded to 128mb VRAM will be about $2400. Being a desktop user all my life, this'll be my first purchase of a portable and I'll likely visit my local CompUSA store to get a first hand feel of the two models. It seems the 12" PB has gotten rave reviews since its previous incarnation was considerably slower than the 15" and 17" and now with the speed bump the performance difference is rather minimal. I stare at a 17" Apple Display so I wonder what the feeling will be like looking at a 12" screen.

9. soccerfan macrumors member

Wow... you're on your way to Iraq and you're worried about which PowerBook to take...

Makes my decision making process seem just a little trite...

Anyway, take the 12" is my advice....

And God Speed!!

10. U2Rules! macrumors member

I also vote for the 12 in. I just got mine last friday and was very worried aboout 12 not being large enough. I think it's great! It's the perfect size for TV Trays on the couch. If you want portability get the 12.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man, it sounds like Apple would have a killer in the marketplace with a 12" with a 1.5 and 80gb, 512mb RAM, and backlit keyboard for $2200!

12. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

You are making a very wise decision!

I did the same thing about two months ago, because I travel daily, so I need the portability!

The only complaint I have is the screen resolution, because 1024X768 is not enough real estate, but this I easily corrected by an external monitor.

13. nesbitt_a thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'll definetly see a performance boost. I've noticed that I only really use the middle of my 15" widescreen anyway, theres always a gap at either edge through which I can see my desktop (maybe 4cm each side).

The 12" sounds like the perfect machine for me.

Thanks for your help. Would still love to hear how people find the 12" for students/developers.

Andy.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Don't know if it helps, but I do page layouts in InDesign with work in PS on my 12".

15. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

at least expose makes life on a small screen much better.

16. nyprospect macrumors 6502

17. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

all of the above. . . i have a 12" pb, i am a student, i bike and . . i used to work in the IT industry (before i got a 'real' job as an engineering intern). . when i first got a laptop i got the 12" ibook, and i loved the portability to and from class and home. when the video card fried (for the 3rd time) on the iBook i upgraded to the 12" PB and LOVE it!!! its the most beautiful portable laptop ever. i would consider nothing except a 12" for portability. and the G4 has plenty of poer (i have a rev a 867 and its great!) if you like screen realestate then get an external monitor for when youre sitting around at home.

18. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

The new 12" PowerBooks are great...I would love the Radeon 9600 and backlit keyboard though. I always look at the 15" PowerBooks,theyre nice but kinda big.

19. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well I took the plunge and opted for the 15" Powerbook. I went and visited CompUSA and liked the 12" PB although I wish Apple produced a 14.1" PB to fit between the 12" and 15". I'm guessing this would create a congested lineup although a 14" PB would suit me perfectly since the 12" PB is a little too small, although it packs a powerful package inside a very small case, and the 15" PB is a little on the large side. Ahh well, having been a Macintosh user for over 15 years I know I'll enjoy my purchase and here comes another Apple loan to pay off. :p

15" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz, 512mb, Superdrive, ATi 9700 128mb, 80GB HD@5400rpm.

20. daxdagr8t macrumors member

i too have the 12in pb and brings it to my class everyday.one of my classmates have a 15in sony vaoi, we put our notebokk side by side and he admitted that my pb is better looking and a better notebook overall.the protability of the 12in is great.u wont regret it. :D

21. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I too have a 12" pb which I just got for my old 12" ibook. I must say it is the nicest computer I have ever used. I too thought a lot about getting the 15" mostly because of the gaphics card, fw 800 and the backlit keyboard. And although there are times that I miss those things I would NEVER trade this book in for a bigger one. NEVER.
    I am a student, which means I take it to class every day, and I travel a lot for work. So portability is key here. If you do a lot of design work that would be a tougher decision but if not go get the 12".
    After all... Apple is introducing technology after technology that helps with small displays... exposé and dashboard anyone? So I think the screen estate is plenty for those who don't do video editing etc. for a living.
    And if this is any comfort for those who are thinking of upgrading when the G5s come out... I think they will go 13,3" widescreen with those, they'll have 128mb graphics cards in them and fw800 and the backlit keyboard should be implemented when they have a new design too.

Just my 0.02$

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For me the only reason that I have considered the 15" and 17" models is for the 2gb RAM possibility.

As to a 13.3" screen, I just hope the form factor remains the same size.

23. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Yeah, forgot that one. Although I doubt that this will ever be possible with this form factor. If they go 13,3" they might although I still kinda doubt it.
    As for 13,3"... they kicked out the 17" LCD and made them ALL widescreen.
    I guess the best indicator for this will be the new imacs. If they will be all out widescreen then I don't think there will be a 12" pb anymore.
    Why don't you like 13,3"? It is not really bigger after all and I think you'd gain a lot from it.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For me the PB 12" is a perfect size. Particularly since I got a Leeds portfolio case that is a perfect fit for the PB 12". Much larger and the PB 12" would not fit.

I am spoiled now.

25. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I suppose that is a reason. But don't mind me saying: I would not really care if you'd have to get a new one if I could have a 13,3". :D
    Although this would mean I'd have to get a new case too... Maybe not, after all 1,3" in screen size does not make that much of a difference in overall size anyway. I suppose we will see soon enough. As early as the new imac or the new emac or as late as they actually ship G5 pb. So either way I guess you and I will get to keep our case for quite some time.