Powerbook 15 ''

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maradong, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. maradong macrumors 65816

    maradong

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Luxembourg
    #1
    Well,
    i got a question. As I see it quite improbable the 970 will be released in the new Powerbook, i would like to know what you would do if you were in the same situation.
    I have a very strong feeling like to need a PowerBook as soon as possible. But in the same time I know it would be not really resonable to buy a G4 PowerBook in the following months.
    Now, If the G4 gets higher clock rates than 1 Ghz, i will only buy the 1 Ghz version, because I heart that the G4 is basically only designed for 1 Ghz and not more.
    If there are PowerMacs realsed , or presented with a PPC 970 Chip, would you go for the new PowerBook, if released ? Or would you just wait for the 970.

    Well that is my question. I m not sure wether i explained in a comprehensible way, what I would like to know, but I really hope, I did. If not, please accept that English is not my native language.
    ( it s quite rare i m writing that much, so there will probably be as well many grammatical mistacs :D, please be gentle with me : I read somewhere:
    *pulling up the fire-proof suit* )

    P.s. Good night. it makes now 23 24 over here. And i have to stand up @ 0530 :D
     
  2. MacBandit macrumors 604

    MacBandit

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    Location:
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    #2
    If I were you and didn't want to buy a G4 over 1GHz I would wait for the new laptops to come out and then buy the old one at a steep discount.
     
  3. shadowfax macrumors 603

    shadowfax

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2002
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #3
    i like macbandit's advice. plus, if you are just worried about heating issues, know that there are a number of G4 processors. the next one, ostensibly, the 7457, will have a much smaller die size and be able to be clocked MUCH (read: a little) higher than current ones while dissipating less heat and power. it's quite probable that if and when these are finally released (moto says 4th qtr this year, i think) they will find their way into powerbooks, allowing apple to run them up to at least the 1.42 GHz in the Powermacs now.
     
  4. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

    maradong

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Luxembourg
    #4
    ok, but still.
    I want to buy a Pb for the holidays in August. And now I m asking myself if I m gonna buy a 1Ghz G4 with 1 gig of ram, if it will not be totaly outtimed by the end of next year, with the arrival of the ( probably ) PPC 970, sooner or later, the OS itself might become so cpu intensif, and needing tons of computing power that my G4 will not be able to handle it by 2005 resp 2006. That s when I plan to buy a new one. Also I know that in the PC World, my PowerBook would be in the limits to be worked with at that time. That s why I m asking myself many questions over those points.
     
  5. MacBandit macrumors 604

    MacBandit

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    Location:
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    #5

    Nah, don't believe it. If anything the system will continue to run faster and faster on the current machinery for at least another year or so. Apples doing really well with optimizing and simplifying their OS code right now.
     
  6. shadowfax macrumors 603

    shadowfax

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2002
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #6
    yeah, honestly that's the most important thing that apple is doing right now. when 10.2 came out, they really toouted the new stuff it had, but really the most important stuff it did was fix the speed and bug issues. i think you will see that trend continue again, if not in as much force as 10.2, still very present. i expect that this OS update will manage to beautify OS X while making it more beautiful on slower machines as well.
     
  7. MacBandit macrumors 604

    MacBandit

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    Location:
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    #7
    10.3 is supposed to give as much speed boost as there was from 10.1 - 10.2. Some people say they didn't see the difference. I say they're crazy the difference was huge. I was running a B/W G3 400 and it was like double the speed of 10.1 on that machine with a fresh install.
     
  8. shadowfax macrumors 603

    shadowfax

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2002
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #8
    maybe 10.1 ran so well on certain macs that the upgrade couldn't help much. or the people were just imperceptive nutcases. or a mix of the two. i think though that the computers that will notice it most this time are the ones that run it the most poorly now. like your G3 400. i doubt it's going to double the monster power on a DP 1.42GHz powerhouse.

    off topic slightly, i was at Fry's on wednesday and played around with a 1 GHz Pmac with a 20 inch display on it. it had 256 MB of RAM. cripes! that thing sucked compared to my TiBook. it was noticeably laggy by comparison. that RAM really does make a difference. not that you need the hint, maradong, but max it out for god's sake.
     
  9. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

    maradong

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Luxembourg
    #9
    so, in conclusion
    would you buy a PowerBook 15''`( in July/ August ) when it gets released even if it hasen t got a PPC 970 ?
     
  10. MacBandit macrumors 604

    MacBandit

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    Location:
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    #10
    It would really depend on the price and features. If they don't really add much I would buy the old one for much cheaper since it would be closed out.

    My fiancé is currently waiting for the new 15" for the same reason. We like the current one but we want to see what they do with the new one. If it isn't a huge upgrade with a new low price we'll just get the old one and save a lot of money.
     
  11. toughboy macrumors 6502a

    toughboy

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Location:
    Izmir, Turkey
    #11
    I'm planning to buy a 15" TiBook end of this july, and all I hope is the 970 rel. because it will make the tiBook's prices go lower then this.. I dont think that apple would make another price drop anymore, so after the release of 970s, I'll buy a 15"PB..

    and it is also the time period that my money will be somewhat enough to buy a mac..
    well, 15"PB will be a nice but risky jump for a switcher but I'm sure that apple wont disappoint me...
     
  12. maradong thread starter macrumors 65816

    maradong

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2003
    Location:
    Luxembourg

Share This Page