Powerbook 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HuskyDomains, Jun 22, 2004.

1. HuskyDomains macrumors newbie

I've recently configured the Powerbook I plan on ordering next week.. Unlike certain members of the board I've worked 25-30 hrs a week for the past 3 years while going to HS, and so the majority of this laptop purchase will be using money I've earned, thus I want to make sure I get everything right.. The machine I've configured is pretty much top notch:

Powerbook 15"
    512 1 stick Ram.. Another 512 from Crucial
    128 MB VRam
    5400 RPM 80 GB HDD
    Combo Drive

Is there anything else I should get when I order the system.. I've already considered a MacMouse from MacMouse.com... As far as a printer is concerned what is the current promotion apple is running with HP? I wasnt too sure on the details there. If anyone could recommend software downloads (shareware/demo software) that I may find useful I would appreciate it, bear in mind I have little experience with apple products.. Eager to learn, eager to get the powerbook...

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

I'm offended by that comment. Are you calling me a free loading rich little prick? j/k

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

One thing to consider, based on what you've said, is 1.33 vs. 1.5GHz. The 1.5GHz option has the backlit keyboard, which I find useful.

Here's the software I find useful that doesn't come with your laptop:
    Quicktime Pro upgrade ($30)
    VLC for playing videos (freeware)
    Transmit for FTP (shareware $25)
    Audacity (Audio file editing, freeware)
    Toast for burning CDs ($70?)
    Poisoned for peer-to-peer (freeware)
    autoID for password manager (like $10 I think)
    MSN Messenger (free)
    MS Office/Adobe CS/Macromedia Studio MX ($$$$)
    Divx (freeware video codecs)

Have fun!
    Lee Tom

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

MSN Messenger? Are you serious? iChat comes w/ Panther and you still want to use something Evil Bill cooked up?

The only software, besides the bunch of junk people usually can't wait to install on their system, I can recommend is Disk Warrior. It will save your ass in so many ways. There are so many things Panther's disk utility can't do, I wonder why they even put it in.

5. OziMac macrumors 6502

Excellent machine - but how the hell did you work those kind of hours whilst going to high school during the day? I am impressed... It's hard enough doing that through university for most people, and I can't say I work all that much more than that full time nowadays... :confused:

But go to versiontracker.com and you will find heaps of good stuff for your new Powerbook.... enjoy! :)

6. letterbox macrumors regular

side track. from versiontracker.com. turns the sides and top/bottom of the trackpad into a scroll wheel, really sounds odd but is very nice.

7. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Can you make that work only on one side and one top?

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

What the hell? I know a lot of people that use it, and I want to communicate with them. It's free. It works great.

Lee Tom

9. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Yeah I spent all of my last summer working to be able to buy my powerbook, and I'm very happy with it. Are you planning on getting the 1.5ghz version and downgrading to the combo drive? It doesn't make that much of a difference, since apple has now put in backlit keyboards, airport extreme, and bluetooth in all of the powerbooks, but the processor boost is nice. Also, if you don't already have one, but a good two-button mouse to go along with your pb, since trackpads can be really annoying. Have fun with your new machine!

Oh, btw, in case you didn't know, you can only downgrade the superdrive to the combo online, so don't try to buy in a store.

10. ToastCabbit macrumors member

::shakes head:: AE and bluetooth are built-in across the powerbook line, but the backlit keyboard isn't. And if you've worked this hard to get the best powerbook possible, you might want the backlit keyboard for the wow factor (not to mention functionality). FYI, something most folks don't seem to know, if you're ordering the 15"pb with a Combo drive, you can pay $70 extra to get the backlighting. It's an option on the order page with all of the pulldown menus; just be sure to choose it since it's not standard on models under the 15" Super drive.

And you may find this thread useful:
    What's your favorite Mac app?

I've found my most useful, non-apple apps to be AdiumX (for chatting), MS Office (I know, I know :eek:), and LaunchBar was quickly growing on me (haven't had much time to use it).

Enjoy your new computer and you'll love it! Sounds like you've worked hard for it, too! Welcome to the mac community! :D

11. HuskyDomains thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't downgrade to a combo drive in the store?? I guess I'll have to order it online.. I don't understand this though I figured BTO through the store was just having them ship it to the store and having you pick it up there

12. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

If you're going to have them ship it to the store, wouldn't it make sense to just order it online and have them ship it straight to you?

Lee Tom