PowerBook 17" 2/20 people: anything?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by morlium, Feb 20, 2003.

1. morlium macrumors regular

I've read some posters who had received Feb. 20 as the ship date for the PowerBook 17". Have you heard anything? Has your date changed? Is it on its way?

Thanks.

2. LosJackal macrumors member

I'll be screaming it around here if I actually see "Shipped" today. Not yet though.

With the momentium building lately, I am hoping Apple knows exactly what they are doing and planned 2/20 as their first ship date all along. No delays or anything...just a carefully executed launch plan.

3. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

I'm in the exact same boat as jackal. Every time my e-mail whistles at me that I have new mail, my heart skips a beat. Then I'm let down that it's not from Apple telling me that it's shipped.

I'll post again as soon as I know anything else.

4. Skandranon macrumors regular

Already linked to in another thread...

But I thought it might incite your appetite even further to check out these pics....

http://www.eyeray.com/17.html

5. LosJackal macrumors member

Thanks Skandranon. I've compiled quite a list of information on the 17"...picture galleries, bags, stands, accessories. I'm assembling it into my blog site.

It'll be ready any day now. I may actually get the motivation to finally publish it today if Apple says "Shipped". :)

Then I can move on to part 2 of the information...personal experience!

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

OMFG! oh no that e-mail is from my teacher.
    oh dude an e-mail from apple telling me that it's on the way here...wait that's about the job i applied for.
    Still nothing from Apple regarding my 17" pb...still sayz shipping on or before 2/20.

7. LosJackal macrumors member

The shoe has dropped.

Due to an unexpected supply delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the last date you were quoted:

M8793LL/A, PBG4 17.0/1GHZ/512/60G/SD/AP/BT-USA
    will now ship on or before 04/10/2003

I could email reply or call to confirm or cancel my order at this point. I chose to call, and the rep on the phone was rightfully apologetic. I appreciated that.

She didn't have any specifics on what the supply delay was, and also stressed that this is just the "next set of dates" they are given. It could certainly be shipped anytime between now and then.

Doing the math from my order date (1/7), today is 6 weeks and 2 days. That's still early for the 7-10 weeks they were quoting from day one, so I'll cross my fingers that it will still ship before the end of the month.

4/10/03 is 13 weeks and 2 days from my original order date. I hope it doesn't take that long, which is around how long I waited for my G4 450 and Cinema Display to be delivered in early 2000. :(

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

Aww dude that totally sucks...i didn't get an e-mail yet though...*cross my fingers*

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

damn. now i am really glad i got my tibook. that would have been almost 6 months. LOL, apple isn't breaking the 6 month rule!

10. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Still nothing for me...no e-mail or anything...but it's not encouraging news.

11. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Aww crap...

And i planned to pick mine up at an apple store? Another month?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

they're still saying 2/20...now i'm starting to get mad...but this is apple after all they always do this...

13. Maclicious macrumors regular

Maclicious

Re: PowerBook 17" 2/20 people: anything?

My Feb 20 ship date moved to March 20. Just today I got email notifying me that the carrying case I ordered was also pushed back to March 20.

I've come close to cancelling the order about 5 times now... since I'm not playing horseshoes or lobbing hand grenades, the order yet stands.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

mine *still* sayz on or before 2/20.
    Oh wait now it's 3/10. YAY!

15. b-smooth macrumors newbie

Anyone have a 4/1 ship date?

I'm staring at a screen that says on or before 4/1. I called apple and the guy told me that the eariest it is scheduled to go out is 3/19. I suggest everyone call apple and have them tell you when your "scheduled" ship date is; it likely will be different from your "on or before" date. By the way, the iMac I have is the only computer I've ever seen able to run a new operating system (jaguar) at suitable (a little on the slow side but not jumpy) speed. Windows XP seems to bog down the resources of even new computers unless you have 128MB DDR vid. card. Anyone agree?

16. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Re: Anyone have a 4/1 ship date?

No.

XP is bad, but not that bad. At least it is usable (good) at 256MB of system RAM. OS X can't really say that.

That being said, OS X RULEZ!!! or something...

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Anyone have a 4/1 ship date?

3/19? I have 3/10 or something around that.

18. doyouflip macrumors newbie

I ordered mine on 2/1 and have had an on or before date of 4/1 ever since. (standard config)

I called yesterday for a question related to my order and while I had the guy on the phone asked if he had any more info on shipping dates. He said my scheduled ship date was March 16. I couldn't reach them today for an update though.

On a similar note....
    Last week, in desperation I cut a tabloid piece of paper down to 15.4 x 10.2 and have had it sitting on my desk ever since. It gives a good visualization of how big this thing is so I no longer had to imagine it. Recommended for those of you who obsess as badly as I do. :p

I yet another note....
    If they release the 15.4"s within the next couple weeks and those are available to ship, I'm changing my order.

19. rundevilrun macrumors member

well my carrying case shipped today, the date for my pb 17 is unchanged at 3/28. So I guess I can carry the case around and pretend I have one...

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

lol.

21. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

mine still says on or before today, but oh well. Yeah, my Timbuk2 bag should be here next week though.

22. leprechaunG4 macrumors member

Anyone know if this delay will be affecting the other sizes of the new powerbooks. I sure hope not. I want my 12" I ordered, I hope I don't have to wait, please tell me it's just the 17s having an issue. My orderstatus currenty says on or before 2/26.

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

lucky you. i think it's only the 17" PB that's having an issue with the stuff.

24. nanosound macrumors regular

Monkey see, monkey do (not)

Oh crapola! Another month to wait? Like I said in another post, this is almost as long as waiting for a baby (or longer in Chuck's case). What else is such a long wait? Perhaps having a house custom built is a little longer.

Okay, the real reason for the delay is one of the two monkeys got sick on the production line. And due to a supply shortage of fresh bananas, the remaining monkey can't eke out more than one new 17" a day. Bummer. Steve will have to find a better vine to swing from.

...and the saying goes "an Apple a day keeps the buyers away".

So why did Steve-o announce this so early before production? He had nothing else new to announce. New LCDs? Hardly. New PowerMacs? LOL. As much as I love Macworld, it is a flawed marketing concept that's not selling as many Macs for Apple as it really could.

Okay, enough ranting...for today.

25. janey macrumors 603

janey