Powerbook 17'' fault?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Redbull, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Redbull macrumors newbie

Two days ago, I received my brand new Apple 1.67 Powerbook 17'' from Apple UK. Today, I was strolling around and deleted some unncessary files. During my time using it, all of a sudden my whole machine completely freezed. I re-booted it by holding down the start up button for more than 5 seconds. When I finally got the machine up and going again, my whole keyboard was completely disabled/broken (none of the buttons work anymore), some of the features have gone too, some functions won't operate and it won't shut down properly either?. I've done nothing wrong!. I've just spend £2000+ and I'm gobsmacked!.

I don't know what to do? - could it be a manufactured fault? I've only had it for two days!. Will it be replace under warrenty, repaired or am I screwed?

Thanks

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Re-install the OS, repair the permissions, if that don't work, call apple and they'll fix it for free as long as you haven't sprayed it purple or something...

You have a 1 year full waranty, it might even be Dead On Arrival, just call the Apple Care number in the pack that came with the machine.

It's not a known fault, but some machines do come b0rked...

3. Redbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your help Wintermute. I'll re-install the OS disk and hopefully it will replace any damage or deleted files as well a nice working keyboard if possible!. If the worst comes to the worst I will contact them as they are very helpful. Yes, indeed I'm new to Mac so it is a bit of a learning curve for me.

Thanks

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My pleasure, I have a 1st gen 17", still running strong, but it needed a new logic board within a month of arriving, Apple fixed it in about 4 days.

Still, I wouldn't go into the system and mess about too much, it's very easy to muck stuff up.

I'm sure it'll be fine and you'll have a great machine.

Welcome to Macs and MacRumors. :D

5. Redbull thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I've had a fantastic start to this forum!. Once I get this fixed, I will without doubt keep my distance away from the system!. Yes indeed, I'm really pleased with my very first Mac - I will not look back at Windows ever again.

I'm going to re-install it tomorrow now as I just done a hard days work!. I'll let you know how I get on and hopefully I can reply with my Mac!.

Peace