Powerbook 17" G4 screen goes dark in 3 mins

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gregj777, Dec 30, 2004.

1. gregj777 macrumors newbie

Just got this band new yesterday. Opened it up, was trying to complete registration process when suddenly the screen went dark as I was typing. Nothing would bring it back but a restart, then it went dark again in about the same amount of time. Tried everything from charging the battery overnight to removing the battery and also reloaded the software. Still does the same thing, whether it's on battery or ac power. It's unuseable like this. Any ideas?

2. thekaiser macrumors member

By "dark" i assume you mean off. Anyway, call Apple. They should be very willing to help due to the fact that it is brand new. I suppose they will just ship you a new one or you can return it to the store you purchased it at. However, I suppose that it is not a problem that you can fix. Sorry.

3. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

what about the energy control panel? is it set to put the monitor to sleep in three minutes (i know but i had to ask)?

take the battery out and use the power cord instead.

zap the pRam (control+option+P+R hold these keys during start up).

put in the hardware diagnostic CD that came with your mac.

did you ad any additional ram? if so try removing it and/or reinstalling it.

good luck and your not alone...im having horrible luck too....lost some data on a drive that will spin up but isnt recognized by any disk utility. :(

take it easy.

4. gregj777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replys both of you.

As for calling Apple, I did. Because I did not buy it from an "authorized reseller" I'm screwed as far as they are concerned. I got if off an aution on eBay. The seller has perfect feedback in the hundreds or I wouldn't have bothered. It was new in box. Anway, Apple says good luck.

As for taking out the battery and using just AC the problem is still there. I had not heard about the control-option-p-r but I just tried that and nothing there either. Is that a hard reset? I can't find anywhere how to do a hard reset.

I'm surprised how many problems these things seem to have from my searches for help. I used to have an ibook years ago and had no problems. For this type of money you'd think you were all good. Anyway, thanks again and any other suggestions are welcomed. I have a call in to the seller and may take it to a local laptop shop in the morning. UGH!

5. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

if it was sealed then you are fine. Call them back and say you bought it new. They will ask for the serial number and if it hasn't been used before then your warranty will start there. If the unit has been used before then I believe you need to have hte original owner transfer the warranty over to you.

Just call apple and say you bought it new at some small retailer in your area (make one up if you please). You have every right to a warranty if the computer was sealed in its case. If it was advertised as such but was not, then you can return it to the ebay seller for falsely advertising. If the guy has perfect feedback then he has plenty at stake. Either way, the computer should either be repaired or you should get your money back.

6. gregj777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's what I thought but Apple told me about some RITA program where I had to fax them something to prove I had bought it through an authorized reseller. Why won't they stand behind their products?

7. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

command+option+p+r resets the pram. i forgot to tell you to let it CHIME (the restart sound) three times....CHIME....CHIME...CHIME and then let go of the keys.

8. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

return the computer. That sucks alot, i hate waiting. :mad:

9. gregj777 thread starter macrumors newbie

I held it forever and it didn't make any sound. Does this apply to Powerbook G4 17's?

10. gregj777 thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't tried this but how do I get to that? The screen never stays bright enough for me to find it. And if it was new why would it be set to that AND if it was wouldn't it come back to like when I moved the mouse or hit a key? The sleep light isn't lighting up when this happens.

The seller hasn't called me back yet.

11. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

go to the Apple menu>system preferences>energy control panel> and make sure your settings are to NEVER put the display to sleep.

also, command(its the key with the apple on it)+option+p+r as you restart your computer....keep these keys down as the computer restarts...it SHOULD chime.

also, it sometimes takes a couple of trys to wake my computer, try pressing the keys on the keyboard over and over.

12. gregj777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the seller didn't get back with me last night so I took it to the laptop shop this morning. The guy called me with a conclusive diagnosis: a bad inverter board, the thing that supplies high voltage power to the display backlight. He said he had the same problem on one shipped in from an out of state user last week. Anyway, Apple says unless I bought it from an "AUTHORIZED RESELLER" I am not warranted, and a lady in my office says she once lost the receipt for her computer and they would not help her. So, beware everyone. Don't try to save money when buying an Apple. I have not paid more for this eBay NEW unit than I would have direct from Apple. The repair, thankfully, is only $285 including labor. At least I know I have a fast, reputable place in town to turn to now if anything else happens, which hopefully it won't. And if all goes well week after next I will be enjoying Charleston, SC from 14 floors above whilst doing my iTunes thing... LOL. Thanks again for the quick repsponses. Looking forward to being back in the MAC community. Happy New Year!

13. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

14. dlisle20 macrumors member

i've got an oldschool 17" pbook and i had kind of the same problem, but the screen gradually got darker over time, and the screen quality decreased.

17" PowerBook 1GHZ 512 RAM :eek:

15. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I've sold many Macs on eBay (used) and all Apple needed was the person who bought it from me to call them with the information and purchase date of the Mac and they would transfer the warranty to them.

16. gregj777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I need to do that though since this was new in the box? It was sealed for sure, never opened. I think if he will fax me an invoice I should be ok. I hope so.