Powerbook 17" keyboard, trackpad and power switch not working

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by theitsage, Jan 29, 2006.

1. theitsage, Jan 29, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

theitsage macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I'm very glad to have found this great place with such helpful advice. I'm currently looking to buy a powerbook 17 and came accross one for a great price $1240 shipped from an eBay seller. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5859666985&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEDW:IT&rd=1

From what the seller posted, this seems like the latest revision of the powerbook line. A few things of concerns though. Besides the fact that the keyboard, trackpad and power switch not functioning, I noticed that it only has a 80GB hard drive. The options for the hard drive I found on Apple online store are either 120GB @ 5400RPM or 100GB @ 7200RPM.

My question is how challenging is it to fix all this? The seller stated "the keyboard connector will need to be resoldered" - I don't think it's that easy. Anyone has experiences with the innards of the powerbook please help me. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

if it's still under applecare warranty, I'd take it to an apple store after buying it.

3. theitsage thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a great idea! However, I worry that if the owner messed that up himself and the Apple genius finds out, would they honor the warranty and fix it??

4. xFU3Lx macrumors member

The keyboard, trackpad, and power switch are all connected to the logic board by the same 'ribbon'/flex cable. It could very easily be just the connection to the logic board.

5. theitsage thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for poiting that out. I was able to download a service manual for this particular powerbook model. Looking at the flex cable and the section "Zero Insertion Force Connectors", these seems to be very fragile. This from the Manual "Warning: If a locking bar breaks, you will need to replace the board." The locking bar is where the flex cable goes in.

This is a section from the Troubleshooting:

*Top case flex cable (to logic board)
    - Keyboard data and status
    - Power-on signal
    - Power to keyboard backlight LEDs
    - Trackpad data and power
    - Sleep sensor

My guess is this top case flex cable is busted, and the recommended solution is to replace it. I hope it has nothing to do with the logic board. Any comment on this??

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

has apple acknowledged the trackpad problem officially?