PowerBook 17" selling advice (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Vanilla, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Hi
    I am considering replacing my powerbook with an iMac 20" and iBook combination and would really appreciate advice on how to value my PBook. The spec is as follows:

Bought June last year
    PowerBook 17" 1.5ghz with 1Gb Ram and stock 80Gb HD

I have the original packaging , discs, booklets etc., its in very good condition, I regularly clean it, (wrap it always in a tucano second skin when on the move) and it is clear of scratches/dents/etc. and no dead pixels.

I would really appreciate any advice on what price I can realistically expect to attain

Thanks in advance
    Vanilla

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Well i would say around $2500. Your best bet is to check www.ebay.com and see whats the going rates are and try to sell yours there, there are a lot of 17" PBs getting bided on.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

at least £1300 max £1600

i'd keep the powerbook it's about as fast as the imac on average and allot faster than an ibook, haveing two macs like that can be a pain as some stuff in on one machine but not on the other and syncing is annoying, it's better to have on fast mac than one fast and one slow and portable

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Last month I bought (on MR) a 15" 1.5GHz, 512MB, 80GB, SuperDrive, with an iPod Mini, Apple BT Mouse, Cary case, and Car charger for £1350. It was all only 6 months old and in perfect condition. Something for you to go on. Good luck with the sale.

5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Remmber before you sell your PB make sure your not selling it for to low.

6. Vanilla thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the responses, certainly provides food for thought. I guess I'm leaning towards a £1300 valuation, sounds about right.
    cheers all.
    Vanilla

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

bang it on ebay and start it off low but with a reserve price of what ever you a willing to let it go for don't forget to price the postage correctly as i have been had on that many a time

8. Vanilla thread starter macrumors 6502a

liketom: Good point, I'll check out with the post office what the charge will be.

All: One final thing, what is the standard process in preparing a machine for resale? May sound silly but I've never done this before. Do you simply remove your files etc. or re-install the OS?

cheers
    Vanilla

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would restore with the restore cd's or dvd and set the admin password to something simple like apple so the buyer can change it , besides you do not want them getting access to your passwords in your keychain!! o and deauthorize iTunes I ALWAYS FORGET TO DO THIS!!

i'll keep an eye out for it on ebay :)

10. Vanilla thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to update this thread: I was all set to begin the process of putting my 'book up for sale when I discovered a faint white 'blotch' had appeared on the screen, smack in the middle no less. It's pretty faint, noticeable when on a light background, hidden on a dark background and on occasion I swear it vanishes all together only to re-appear again. I couldn't live with myself selling the machine knowing that was there so I need to get that fixed first.

Luckily this machine is still within its first year warranty and I have all the paperwork/original packaging etc. so I'm going to call the dealer shortly and hopefully get it sorted. The problem is that this is not just a machine for home, It's also my main work machine and I can't get my head around not having it for a week or so. If only dealers could lend you a unit for the time your machine was away with your HD installed in it (for UK readers: I'm sure if Carlsberg took over support, we'd get such service!)

I guess one option may be to go ahead and purchase the iBook/iMac combination (or I'm even toying with a Pbook 15"/iMac 20" combo) - or just the laptop unit first - in advance of selling the machine, I just have to work this out with my Bank Manager (my iWife) first. Fingers crossed.

I was a little surprised to get the (in)famous 'blotch' as I'd never heard of it appearing on a 17", though its about par for the course with my luck ;-)

Vanilla