1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Powerbook 17'' Update?!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by maradong, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. macrumors 65816


    Hi folks.
    As i could n t follow all the rumors since the 23 th June, just a little question.
    Will the 17'' Powerbook be updated soon ?
    As i looked on buyersguide.macrumors.com there is mentionned that there will soon be updates, but is that for the 15 '' or for the 12'' and 17'' as well ?
  2. macrumors 65816

    Ambrose Chapel

    I haven't seen anything specific floating around. Tthe 17" was announced around 6 months ago but it's only been shipping for about half that time, right? Would they rev it so soon?
  3. macrumors 65816


    dunno just wondering...
    planning to buy one. so i don t want to get a soon outdated modell..
  4. macrumors 65816


    btw what is the name of that nice "aquarium* screensaver .. looks awesome...
  5. macrumors member

    God I hope it isn't updated so soon as I just bought one yesterday!
  6. macrumors 6502

    is it this one ?
  7. macrumors 65816


    ok than.
    i ll get my one tomorrow. ;-)

    and yeah, it s that screensaver. pretty cool. thx ;-)
  8. macrumors 604


    well macworld is coming up soon. if its going to be at any time it would most likely be then. guess we will have to wait and see.

  9. macrumors 65816


    so, in general, lets say, wou would nt buy a 17'' right now.
    But rather wait for the mwsf. And perhaps get a 15'' if they get finally updated ?
  10. macrumors 6502

    Well, what could possibly be on a new 17"?

    7457 is probably not due for a few months - only benefit is larger cache - slightly lower power or maybe slightly faster speed (1.1Ghz, 1.2Ghz?) - who knows when Motorola can deliver this in volume. The extra cache is probably the best feature - otherwise most users will probably not notice (we are probably looking at barely a 10% improvement)

    Radeon 9600 Mobility could be included - but unless you live on games, or graphics programming, the current GeForceGo 440 is pretty decent. AGP 8x is also nothing woop-dee-do, especially for a laptop.

    Faster DVD-RW? Not likely - the device is actually faster, but Apple limits the speed since apparently the device burns a lot of coasters the faster it goes.

    Digital Sound? Probably not until the G5 PowerBook - and that's a ways off.

    Better battery? Probably not.
    Better screen? Doubt it.
    Better AirPort? Huh?
    Better Keyboard? Not sure how they'd do this (unless they made it bigger)
    Better HDD? Sure - 80GB are available, or 50GB 7200RPM ones - but you could actually buy one of these anyways and use it with the current model. SATA support might wait until the G5 powerbook - besides how many SATA 2.5" drives are there?
    Better case? Doesn't seem like there were any problems with the current one, so highly doubtful.
    Better memory? Not sure if there's a point with the current G4 bus. DDR400 also consumes more power than the DDR333, but it could be dual channel - Apple could then rape you for memory because you'd have to buy 2 sticks at their prices ;) (and that would be more of a marketing ploy than an improvement... so yet another feature coming with the G5 powerbook)

    Did I forget anything?

    So there you go, buying a 17" now is still probably a good choice even if they do update it the day after you make a purchase. :D

    Just don't beat me up if this happens ok? :D

  11. macrumors 65816


    thx for the info. infact it seems everything seems clear like you said it. could have gotten those points by myself. didn t know everything though. everything is logical ;)
    I ll try to. ;-) no garantee ;-)

Share This Page