PowerBook 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Venture37, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Venture37 macrumors newbie

Venture37

Im looking to get the 17" PowerBook, should I wait till the WWDC or should I get one whenever its possible (read ASAP), what I dont want to happen is after getting the laptop Apple release a new laptop the following month :(

Is there any new powerbook hardware planned for release at the WWDC in June?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

If your really concerned about a new model being annouced soon after you buy yours, then wait, because it has been rumored that the 17 inch will be updated in the near future. I've heard they were going to add a high defintion screen.

3. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

nothing is ever definite, there are tons of posts asking "should i buy now or wait" what you have to ask yourself is if you really need the computer now? and if you are willing to wait, it may be a while, becuase this is only a RUMOR site, nothing is ever definite

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

PowerBooks were just updated in February. They probably won't be updated again until the end of this year/early next year. BUY NOW! My friend bought the new 17" PowerBook and has 2 gigs of RAM in it. It hauls ass!

5. Venture37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Venture37

hmm, I wanna go ahead & do it, but the thought of a HD screen is defo worth the wait, Im gonna make my mind up by friday as Ill be visiting the london apple store for the tiger launch party it'd be kinda cool to get it there & then :)

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I can't imagine that your friends computer hauls ass much faster then yours. :)

7. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

His computer actually is slower than mine. He has so much crap on his laptop and he never runs any type of disk maintenance. He has so many processes running in the background it boggs his system down considerably. I am borderline OCD when it comes to my PowerBook. I maintain the hard drive once a week (periodic, update prebindings, repair permissions), clean the surfaces and screen religiously. But anyway, they're both still fast :)

I upgraded from a 400 MHz G3 PowerBook so this is a HUGE speedbump for me.

8. Venture37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Venture37

I was planning to goto the london apple store tomorrow (friday) & get myself one but on the way home today I went into cancom for a quick look & 10 mins later I walked out with a massive box in my hand :D

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
    Machine Model: PowerBook5,7
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f1
    Serial Number:
    Sudden Motion Sensor: