powerbook 17in buyers advice

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by switchedanhappy, Mar 10, 2004.

1. switchedanhappy macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting a powerbook 17in, and I need some advice on how to configure it. now I (eventually)want to max out the ram, so how much do you advise me to get when I order it? (there is one dimm that you can't remove, so I'd need to max out the nonchangeable slot right?) anyways, any other advice would be welcome, I edit film alot and am on the move alot, (and maybe some games may somehow find there way on, [halo, ut2k4]) thanx!

2. krisjon macrumors regular

RAM-wise, if you plan on maxing it at some point, swap out the 512 it comes with for a 1 gig one. That will leave you the other open slot for another 1 gig upgrade when you feel like it. When you're ready, look to a place like crucial.com for the other gig. It'll be cheaper, but the one gigs are still pretty expensive as of right now.

Also, if you can afford the 5400 RPM HD upgrade, do that too. It comes stock with a 4200.

Other than that, the machine's loaded. Enjoy it!

3. DND82 macrumors member

The RAM that it comes with can be removed. Since you will be doing a lot of film editing I say max it out, 2GB. Not sure if you heard, don't buy RAM from Apple. You could get it else where, like from Crucial for much cheaper.

hope this helps,

Dane

EDIT: Seems like kris and I responded at the same time. :)

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I would suggest staying with the smaller internal drive. Any internal laptop drive is going to be too slow/small to do any serious video editing, so anything you do will probably be on an external drive anyhow. I'd save on the internal drive and go for a big/faster external hard drive.

5. switchedanhappy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks you guys! I probably would've botched it if not for your info. (i find i alittle odd that apple provides little to no info on upgradeabilt for their PB's, but oh well.) :D