Powerbook 1gb Ram which one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by imac abuser, Oct 27, 2004.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Mar 1, 2004
    I just got a new powerbook 15" and want to get one or two 1GB ram chips. The apple ones are wayyyy to expensive. Any downside to non apple ram? Will it void my apple care? Any recomendations?

2. fradac macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2003
    Atlanta, GA

goto crucial and get their ram, they are tested and the same stuff that apple uses.

and adding ram does not void warrenty, its a user upgradable part. i have 1GB ram in mine and i have had my powerbook in for repairs.

if feel adventerous you can get cheap 1GB chips from places like outpost for $160 which apprently work in the pb by other users experience.

hope that helps
  3. PigDog macrumors member

Jul 18, 2002
    I purchased the outpost 1G and I have had no problems on a 17" PB 1.5G

They do offer a return policy if you are not happy
  4. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    In a nice place..
  5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    OWC has the Samsung modules at some of the best prices I have seen.
  6. intlplby macrumors member

Jul 14, 2004
    although apple does seriously overcharge for ram it is still good to go for the single 1gig SODIMM module that resides on the logic board right since that ram module isn't user upgradable?...... or are all the SODIMM banks user accessible on the 17in powerbook?

i know on my 12 in 1ghz PB only one SODIMM bank is user upgradable.... the other 512 resides on the logic board and i don't think it is even upgradable... i remember when i took my pbook entirely apart (i was replacing the bottom aluminum cover that was all dented up from an accidental fall) i don't even remember seeing any separate internal SODIMM module
  7. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2004

ive been using the 1 gig pc2100 sodimm from owc for over a month with no problems at all in my 12" rev b. i got it for $220 shipped w/ lifetime warranty.
  8. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Apple uses Samsung RAM in Powerbooks, so if you get Samsung RAM from OWC, I'm quite sure it'll be compatible. OWC Branded RAM is also supposed to be just as good. And Newegg.com has been known to sell Crucial RAM at cheaper prices than Crucial, so...... I'm sure you can figure out what to do. ;)
  10. rozwell macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2004
  11. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    In a nice place..
    Update: I have been using the newegg chip (previously mentioned) for about a week now, and it has been running great. I loaded roughy 150 6 - 12MP pictures in PSE3, and never had a problem.