powerbook 1Ghz vs powerbook 1.67Ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jack80000, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Jack80000 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Can anyone give me some advice,

I plan to by a powerbook to take advantage of the 5 hours I spend on the train each day going to and from work.

Primarily I am going top use it for running Maya and after effects.

However I have the option of getting a second hand 17" powerbook with a 1Ghz processor for £750, or a new 15" powerbook with a 1.67 Ghz processor.
    I was going to go for the second hand 1Ghz powerbook but I am concerned it may not run/render on maya very fast, and therefore it may be better to go for the 1.67Ghz option.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone has any advice.

Thanks,

2. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Go for it

You should get the new G5 powerbook for running things like Maya! ;)

Naw, seriously. The near 700 Mhz difference is a rather large difference. If you think about it that's almost doubling the speed of the processor. I don't think you'll miss the 2" of real estate and also you'll be lugging around a lot less. I have friends who have the 17" and it's a honker for sure!

If you are going to be on a train every day and lugging a notebook around I'd go for the faster 15" over the slower 17" any day. They're both basically the same computer but one has a little more real estate. I'd suggest getting the 128mb VRAM to help you out though I'm not sure if Maya bogs down the video processor too. I'm assuming it does.

Good luck and cheers!

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You do not want to be sitting on a train with a 17" laptop on your lap!!!

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah unless your in first class compartment seats are pretty tight and it sucks to use it; i tried on a trip from nottingham to edinburgh

and makes u a target for mugging

but that said

i use a 1 ghz and its plenty fast for my needs. but i dont do maya. but i do final cut express a lot of photoshop work too

5. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

It's much more than a 670Mhz difference. The 1.67GHz Powerbook would also have the advantage of a faster Hard Drive, optical drive, and Video card. Considering how After Effects and Maya can cause heavy disk activity and can tax your GPU you may see a nearly double speed improvement with the 1.67Ghz machine.

6. Jack80000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!

Thankyou very much for all the useful information,

as a result I will be ordering a 15" 1.67Ghs powerbook, instead.

Cheers.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

With a 5 hour trek to work each day, I suggest you save your money and move. :)

If not, then go ahead and purchase your new PB. The 17" is a bit of a crapper. Oh wait, I have the 1GHz 12" model......:(