Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sohosid

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
Portland
Hi all,

Recently bought a 3400/240, which is wonderful. It does however have a few issues that I'd like to sort.

It came with 8.6 loaded, although I'm not sure that it was a fresh install.

It won't connect to my router via ethernet. All my other Macs (running 10.4.8) connect via DCHP, but using that in TCP/IP on the 3400 shows no router at all. Now it's a long time since I've networked anything other than OS X, so I'm a bit lost here...but it seems to me that there is something very wrong with Open Transport. For one thing, the version in the system is 1.1, which seems very old.

A fresh install of 8.6 would seem to be my first option, and I might have a friend with an install disc...next problem? No CD Drive. Is it possible to make an install disc image that can then be planted onto a CF card? (I have a PC flash card reader that I've been using to transfer files to it)

If not...then I'm guessing the best option is to pick up a CD drive for it?

Any advice on networking this old cherry would be greatly appreciated.

Mike.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
getting a CD-ROM Drive for it would be a good idea, it would make installing software easier anyhow.

You'll want the newest version of Open Transport supported by your OS. And if you don't have one, I suggest picking up an OS install CD off ebay or a reseller. They're cheap and very handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.