Powerbook 3400c Help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GPTurismo, Mar 18, 2002.

1. macrumors 6502

May 4, 2001
    Montgomery, AL USA
    My IT department was throwing old computers and components away when I noticed an old powerbook. I looked at it a bit, and asked them if they were going to get rid of it.

"Yes" they said. So I bugged them for a bit and took it to my cubicle and fired it up.

It works great. 240 603ev, battery still works, screen is in good condition, 3 gig HDD.

Here are the problems. Power Supply, Ram, and CD Rom Module. Does anyone know where I can find a CDROM, Power Supply, and Ram for it that is inexpensive? I checked ebay and I can't find a CDROM, and a 128 chip of ram for it. Any other stores that might have it? Smalldog has a powersupply and I might purchase that. Any other suggestions?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have all of those items... If you are still looking for them, send me a private message on here with your email address and I will get back to you with prices.

Other than that, see if there isn't a used computer store in your area... or a local Mac Users Group.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

May 4, 2001
    Montgomery, AL USA
    Let me update. There are quite few dead pixels in the LCD on the left side of the screen.

How much would a screen cost? LOL.
  4. macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    I have a 3400c/180 sitting around that I am going to sell one day. Perhaps you could just buy mine and create a frankenmac.

Mine works fine, but the mouse button is broken and won't click. The screen also flickers a bit when it dims, but that's not an issue - just don't set it to dim!

Yeah - so you could have a 3400c/240 with a screen that works, a floppy drive, a CD drive, a power supply (from a Wallstreet, so it's smaller than the old 3400 supply), an extra battery, and a mouse that works.

You'd be set! Only thing is I'm not sure how much RAM is in it, I think there's a 32 and a 64...