Powerbook 667(DVI) problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Macpoops, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    A friend of mine has been having some seriously weird occurences with his powerbook lately. The last thing he claimes he did was install that latest security update. He is runnign 10.2.8 but at the moment cannot connect to the internet via airport or ethernet and everything on the right side of the menu bar is blank, no clock, airport icon, battery icon, etc.... I got him to repair permission and boot form the 10.1 discs(all he has at the moment) and run Disk Ut. Nothing has worked. Anyone have any ideas? Would installing Panther or re-installing the system be the only way to fix it? Anyone heard of anything like this?
  2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Hmm, that is the same computer I have, and I have never even heard of a problem such as that. If repairing permission did nothing, I would suspect some kind of data corruption as the culprit. I know I have a bad sector on my harddrive that fsck won't fix and it can occasionally cause massively long boottimes as fsck will keep trying to run and fix it to no avail, and I keep telling myself I'll reformat when I install panther...anyway I'd say reinstalling the OS is probably going to be his only option here.