PowerBook 667 (DVI) Problems - HELP!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by john123, Aug 22, 2003.

1. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I've got a weird problem with my PB 667 DVI that I was hoping you all might be able to help with.

Sometimes, it just won't start up. And it takes a lot of jimmy-rigging to get it to start up -- and even then it often crashes on the happy Mac screen, during the startup process, etc. I try stuff like resetting the PRAM and the PMU, letting it sit for a while, etc.

I've tried taking out the memory modules and replacing them as well. That doesn't seem to be the issue.

I've also formatted the hard drive (zeroing all sectors) and just installed OS 9 and/or OS X...still crashes sometimes...

I've tried resetting the Open Firmware as well (using "reset-nvram" and "reset-all").

The Hardware Test CD doesn't ever turn up anything. Sometimes it has crashed while running the tests. But I've had the PowerBook running the test CD in loop mode for over a day now, and after 220 cycles of testing, it hasn't detected a "failure" yet.

Sometimes on startup, I'll get 3 or 4 "beeps." Then the sleep light will blink 3 times (faster than usual), then a fourth time (on for about a second), and the cycle of lights will continue until I unplug the AC adapter and battery. And then sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

2. powerbookmedic macrumors member

The 3-4 beep error is a memory test or cache error. Normally this means your have bad memory, but it could also mean you've got a bad logic board. I'd put in known good ram first. If that doesn't fix it then you need the logic board.

-Bradley

3. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

Well, since I have taken RAM from another machine that I know to be good, and the problem persists...I guess it's the logic board.

What about repair options? Can logic boards be repaired reliably? I've seen companies that offer to do so...any information on some of these companies? (And yes, it's out of warranty with no AppleCare.)

Thanks!

4. powerbookmedic macrumors member

Some companies out there can repair the boards, however we reccomend a logic board replacement. It is what Apple would do.

-Bradley

5. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

I'd "recommend" it too -- but I can't justify a $1000 expense for a new board on a machine that's just a bit over a year old.

6. john123 thread starter macrumors 68000

john123

Update:

the number of beeps is EXACTLY 3.

Anyone know anything more specific about this? I know it's not "bad memory" we're talking about, precisely because I've used 3 different chips, and have used both slots as well as just the top or just the bottom slot.

Help!

Thanks!

7. shadow71 macrumors newbie

I had exactly this problem. After reboot, 3 beeps, the a loop of 3 short an one long blink of the sleep LED.