Powerbook 800mhz burn firewire devices!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SIMON DOLAN, Apr 21, 2005.

1. SIMON DOLAN macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2005

My powerbook as burn two firewire devices (digital video camera and ext. hard disk). Have you experience that thing? The devices were on...

First, I did plug my camera a couple of times and I worked. After the i.Link (firewire) is not found by any computer. So the I.Link blew! The camera still work except for the firewire link!

Today, I unplug my ext. hard disk from my PC tower and I did plug it in the powerbook. Instantly, the screen of the powerbook shut off and I smell a chip burning... I tought it was my powerbook, I shut it, unplug the hard disk. After the reset, it work well. I put my nose near the hard disk and "that smell" came from there.

So I can say that the reason of the blowing is to plug my hard disk in my powerbook!
    Both of the devices were on...

2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Could you be clearer in describing what happened. What you said really doesn't make much sense.
  3. crackrock macrumors member

Jul 20, 2004
    Cracktown, USA
    I run my firewire hard drive to the ground, a year and a half standing...

it's a cheap one too, a 'fantom drives' hd
  4. Blue Moon macrumors regular

Apr 25, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Are you talking about the devices being defective or the ports?
  5. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    A company I once visited had brought a external FireWire drive. They plugged it into a G4 Tower, it didn't work. They then plugged it into another G4 tower - same problem, then another.

They killed the firewire on 3 machines, it was a dodgy firewire cable.
  6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Firewire cables carry power.

The housings of Firewire jacks in devices are somewhat prone to spreading apart, making them loose. Then, it is relatively easy to force a FW400 cable in upside down - that is, swapping the blunt end for the pointed end.
    Connect the power leads to the data leads and... fzzt.

And as pointed out earlier, a shorted cable will work just as well to do damage.

Your best defence is not to continually plug FW in and out. If you still must exchange cables frequently, then buy a Firewire hub and let it absorb the damage.
  7. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2003

perfectly said i have stopped plugging stuff in and out brough a usb/ firewire hub off ebay for £18 bargain saves my pb