PowerBook, A good deal?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PatMack, Apr 30, 2006.

1. PatMack macrumors member

Hi,

A friend wants to sell me his powerbook, it is brand new. The box was only opened to add 1gb of ram. So total there is 1.25GB. It also has the full one year of apple warranty, 80BG hard drive, airport, bluetooth and all the standards, including Box. He wants $1300. Is this a really good deal? Im hoping to get a good deal and sell later on this year for no loss. That way I can get a macbook.

Thanks

2. kahos macrumors member

3. PatMack thread starter macrumors member

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

?? All you have to do if it is new, is look on the Apple Store for the same configuration. If it is slower than the unit Apple is selling now, then it isn't really new and the value will be discounted.

Look at the Apple refurb store for a benchmark price.

How well do you know this friend? Have you seen the machine in person? If it's a 'friend' you just met on craigslist, you should be aware that Powerbooks are one of the, if not THE most popular "bait" that scammers use to rip people off.

5. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Assuming this is a 1.33 Ghz due to the fact that it apparently has 256MB RAM standard, I'd say it's a very bad deal. You can pick up a faster 15" Powerbook for about that price if not less. The refurb price on a 15" G4 Powerbook 1.67Ghz is $1500. The refurb price for a MacBook Pro 1.83 is $1700.

7. kahos macrumors member

Someone correct me if im wrong but i believe that even the 1.5ghz 12" pb came with 256mb soldered in + a 256mb stick

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Agg, you're right, I was thinking of the iBook. Anyway, I don't think it's that great of a deal...