1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Powerbook acting weird. HELP PLS!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by supag116, Mar 10, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

I have the 15" PB w/ superdrive and everything.. the higest one before the intelmac came out. anyway, head it for a few months now and today, when i turned on the computer, it made a huge buzzing noise, almost like a horn.. then went to some dos looking page stating it was some Firmware thing. then I either have to type 'mac-boot' to continue or 'shutdown' to shutdown.. anyways so typed 'mac-boot'.. so everything loaded and seemed ok. Then once in a while, the 'shutdown/restart/cancel/sleep' window pops up that asks me if i would like to shut down my comp (the thing that pops up if u press the power button but this thing pops up outta nowhere... every 10 mins or so
    any ideas?? thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Backup your data, restart using your boot CD, run Disk Utility, and call Apple

Loud horn-like noises coming from your computer are bad :eek:

3. macrumors 6502a

Shamus

are you sure nothing is jamming the power button or the CD drive?. I only suggest this because of the random appearance of the restart/sleep/shutdown window. And the CD drive could be jammed making the OS think that you are booting from something in the optical drive.

I think the help offered by discoforce above is good though, especially the call Apple part.
    Good luck and i hope that you solve the problem soon.

4. macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Problem is now gone. I think it had something to do w/ the VCD that was inside. Thanks for all the help tho, u guys are great!