PowerBook Adaptor Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JulesK, Nov 11, 2003.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

Are there any alternatives to the Apple power adaptors for the 12" PowerBook (which seems to be the same one used for the entire laptop line)? I'd like to get a second one, but would like something a bit less than what Apple charges.

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: PowerBook Adaptor Alternatives?

-JulesK

Surprisingly, the ones I've found cost more than the venerableable whitebrick.

3. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I was afraid of that. I guess I could simply not be lazy and carry my laptop back upstairs when it needs a recharge, but I was hoping to have a few adaptors scattered around the house so I could plug in wherever needed!

Thanks for you response.

Julian

4. qurlau macrumors newbie

Targus

Before switching to Mac OS X/PowerBook 15" (FW800), I had a Compaq Evo n610c.

When travelling, I used a Targus laptop charger which came with removable "tips" for different laptops.

I checked on Targus' website and they offer a PowerBook tip (Targus Powertip #91). I'm not sure if it works with the new FW800 15".

It's a really handy solution, b/c you can buy the air/auto version of the Targus adapter, but still use it at home by simply attaching a DC to AC converter (which is usually about $9).

Here are the details...

Targus adpater: http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA379U

Cheap DC to AC converter:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=141+0190

Hope this helps.

5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: Targus

-qurlau

This is true, and there are others of this ilk. Kensington makes one, and I personally use the iGo Juice for both my 12PB and IBM T30 when I travel (yes, I carry both in one bag - through airport security). The only problem with these power supplies as it relates to the question of the thread, is that these things tend to cost upwards of $100USD once you get all of the parts, tip and AC cord, together.