Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
My PowerBook will randomly lose the ability to access the Internet. It usually happens when I wake it from sleep, but not always.

The AirPort signal remains constant at three bars. Internet Connect shows no problems, and it's obvious that the router can see the computer and vice versa, but attempted connections with iChat, Safari, and several Dashboard widgets start and time out. I've also run Network Diagnostics (which is practically worthless, IMHO, but that's a discussion for another time) to no avail. Turning AirPort on and off repeatedly also has no effect.

The only thing that fixes it is a hard reset of the router (Linksys WRT54GS). OS X restarts don't help, and neither does putting it to sleep. The connection will sometimes come back on its own after a couple hours of doing nothing, but that's very rare.

The modem settings all look fine, and the only thing I've done on the router since initial setup is add a port forward for Azureus.

I've been having other issues with OS X in general since 10.4.8, and others have told me it's probably time for a clean install. However, I'd really prefer to wait until Leopard's release to do that.

It should be noted that this does NOT happen with my Comcast internet down in Chicago, so that makes me think it has to be something with either this router or Road Runner. When it first started happening, I thought it was RR's DNS servers acting up (which they have a tendency to do anyway), but I don't really think so now.

Any thoughts?

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Sounds like a possible router issue. Could it be that it does not like WPA encryption, for example? Try to toggling the encryption and see what happens. Also, are other computers having problems with connecting to the same router network?

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
Sounds like a possible router issue. Could it be that it does not like WPA encryption, for example? Try to toggling the encryption and see what happens. Also, are other computers having problems with connecting to the same router network?

The router's always been using WEP without issues...no real reason to go WPA because we're in a small neighborhood with no other wireless networks in range. Not sure what the Chicago router is, but I think it's WEP also. I've tried toggling the encryption, the router channel, and the wireless network mode a few times, but nothing seems to help.

The main computer (an XP box) is wired, and the two Macs (the PB and MBP) are wireless. My PowerBook is the only one having a problem.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Did you try to logon as another user on your powerbook? If it is a software issue it is likely to be fixed by this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.