Powerbook Alu issues

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Mar 10, 2004.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I have a 15" Alu with a 4200 rpm hd and a 512mb of ddr ram... anyways, whenever im working in iphotos or preview with alot of big photos or a big pdf, and i use a scrow bars, its really choppy and the harddrive wine becomes more eloganted instead of short bursts (still pretty quite though)... my question is, is this normal or do i have a defective harddrive?

2. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

Hmmm...are you on the latest iPhoto? As I understood it, previous versions of iPhoto were dogs with large amounts of photos...

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Open up Activity Monitor and check how much RAM is free/in use. If it's just a tiny sliver, about 5 or 6MB or so, something is taking large amounts of RAM (most likely iPhoto). I personally never ever hear my HD, either something is drowning it out, or it's spun down. But I do hear my iPod's drive from time to time, it's a very high pitch whine, bugger must be fast!

4. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

229 used
    283 free

um...its not terrible serious, but does anyone else have a powerbook 15" aluminum and noticed that the you can hear the harddrive clicks? not as loud as the ibooks but still present... i mean there is really no reason for apple to use such sh*tty drives with FDB technology on so many available drives.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I've never heard much sound from the hard drive in my 15 inch Aluminum wonder other than the occasional click and the motor engages/disengages since I have it set to spin down whenever possible.

You might have a defective HD and should contact Apple Care.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    no thats pretty normal to hear ur hard drive spin up. but if it clicks are really short and loud it possibly a bad hd.